Is XenForo designed with big board mind?

Andy.N

From the few posts I have read so far, it seems yes but I like to use this thread to gather all information that is useful for me and others that have and plan to scale their site for future growth.

1) Sphinx search: the answer is "it is planned"
2) CDN: I use MaxCDN and would like to have an easy way to integrate that
3) APC, Memcache: the answer is they are optimized for caching
4) OpenX, Adsense, 3rd party ads system: I imagine it is not hard to have a things like "ads after first post", "forum home", etc
5) Spam prevention: are there any new features introduced to make fighting spam easy for site operators?

Ttrue concurrent user usage and activity more accurately definies a forum that post count.

Where post/thread/user count sometimes matters is in database load, especially when using fulltext searches. One forum admin I contacted a few years ago mentioned that he had a process in place to "archive" older posts and remove them from his database, just to improve performance. We'd started on that, but our site owner is a pack rat and won't get rid of anything. :D

Ever since using Sphinx on our big board, the search performance has been outstanding. But still, some of the moderators have noticed that overall, the forum is taking longer to respond over time. Some of it is due to increased visits, but even during slow periods, they are noticing it takes longer to create or edit a post, perform moderation actions on threads, etc.

Overall, it's true: the activity that will make or break a forum, and put a server to its test. Our big board probably has around 700 users (half guests, half members) online at any one time and guests have no privileges either (like searching, viewing attachments, etc.). We're starting to reach the limit of our dedicated server.

Top Bottom