• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

XF 1.3 Is this possible?

drastic

I want to organize my forum by prefixes only and display my homepage as a list of threads.

I don't want to use forum categories, but rather have one homepage with all my threads visible right away, no clicking to the forum page, then to a category, etc.

I'm using the index route now, but of course, when a user clicks on "Forums" in the nav, they get the typical forum view - not the list of threads.

How can I achieve this in the best possible way? What should my node tree look like?

Last edited:

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
You will still need at least one forum as threads can only be created within a forum.

You could try setting up a Route Filter from forums/ to forums/name-of-forum/

tajhay

I want to organize my forum by prefixes only and display my homepage as a list of threads.

I don't want to use forum categories, but rather have one homepage with all my threads visible right away, no clicking to the forum page, then to a category, etc.

I'm using the index route now, but of course, when a user clicks on "Forums" in the nav, they get the typical forum view - not the list of threads.

How can I achieve this in the best possible way? What should my node tree look like?
thefreekick.com uses this method as well. use that.

drastic

is that yours, @tajhay ? i like how the info on each thread is minimal until you roll over it. how could I get that look? that's pretty awesome - really cleans up the look too!

edit - found which template to comment those infos out, looks a LOT better now - nice and clean. I don't have the roll over like FreeKick does, but that's fine because the thread preview pops up and I like that.

Last edited:

drastic

@Brogan - tried your suggestion. i ended up with a url that looked like domain.com/forums/random-chat/random-chat - it doubled up the name and changed all the urls. It may have conflicted with the index route.

right now I'm using the index route and pointing to /forums/random-chat.2, then in the navigation template, I simply changed the forums url to the same thing. now users only see the single forum full of content, rather then a "forums" page with one section and nothing else.

it just gets the users to the content faster.

I wonder if having my homepage and forum page as the same could count against me in SEO.

If you guys know another method that's better, definitely let me know!