XF 2.2 is this possible?

DarkGizmo

Is this possible? Say I want certain phrases within a custom profile field at registration to trigger a user upgrade to a secondary group so users get certain forum access, is this possible to accomplish?

Eg: "Why did you join?" they answe something like "I'm a gamer" or "Gaming" and it unlocks the gaming section of the site for them by upgrading them to a secondary usergroup after registering.

Is this possible at all? Thanks.

Would this work?

If you create the custom user field as "Are you a gamer?" then you can use the built in functionality.

If you create the custom user field as "Are you a gamer?" then you can use the built in functionality.

Just to clarify this will also "demote" if they edit their profile and uncheck the box (field) correct?

Correct.

With it unchecked, no changes will be made to the user groups they are a member of.

On checking the box and saving, once the User group promotions cron task runs (every 20 minutes), they will be automatically added to the user group.

If the member unchecks the box, they will be automatically removed from the user group (when the cron task next runs).

Thanks for that Brogan, but i'm looking for something a little different here. With that solution, everyone will be able to be granted access to a section of my forum, how I want it to work is only grant them access if they use specific phrases in a custom profile field.

Just follow the guide but instead of a checkbox, set the custom field up as a single line text box.

1605986026592.png

Then set the promotion up like this.

1605986073617.png

If the member enters the word "gaming" in the field, they will be promoted.

1605986159826.webp

If you want to also catch words such as "game", "gamer", etc., you will need a separate promotion for each one.

You can't enter all of the words at the same time for a single promotion as the member would need to enter all of them to match the criteria.

Top Bottom