MG 1.1 Is there any way to serve all full images from CDN?

Alpha1

I am hitting exorbitant multi terabyte bandwidth use with my site. The costs are getting scary.
Is there any way to serve full XFMG images from CDN?

Just in the same way you would with XF by default. You can either use an add-on for it, or just change the internalDataPath in config.php to point to a different location (which could be a remote mount or similar).

No it has to be a local path. So you’d have to have a way of mounting that remote location locally. Probably doesn’t help with the bandwidth issue, perhaps, hence the comment about an add on. [bd] Attachment Store springs to mind. It has XFMG support.

I do use Tinthe Attachment store but that doesn't work for full images. I will check if bd attachment store is compatible with the other addons I run.

Thanks!

[bd] Attachment Store works great @Alfa1
I host my attachments / images on Amazon S3 and serve them via Cloudfront. It works great.
I also use BigFooty ProxyHost to serve my cached images from my CDN, that also works great.

How do you make sure that you never loose your attachments? Do you use a backup to AS3?
The add-on has an option to keep a local copy in the internal_data directory.
I'm using it for several years already.
If you don't have the space on your server you could just backup S3, but it's pretty safe anyway with 99.999999999% durability.

I know Amazon has come a long way. But I do not even want to take a 0.00001% chance of losing my website. I have seen it happen to others in the past with a major cloud outages. At the same time I really would like to reduce my disk use of my dedicated server by terabytes.

I know Amazon has come a long way. But I do not even want to take a 0.00001% chance of losing my website. I have seen it happen to others in the past with a major cloud outages. At the same time I really would like to reduce my disk use of my dedicated server by terabytes.
You can sync it with another service if you want. It's just going to cost you more money.
It's just attachments, who cares if there is 1 file not working anymore after 10 000 000 year. I won't be here anymore.
A lot of storage / backup services use Amazon S3. For example Dropbox uses Amazon S3.
How durable is Amazon S3?

Amazon S3 Standard and Standard - IA are designed to provide 99.999999999% durability of objects over a given year. This durability level corresponds to an average annual expected loss of 0.000000001% of objects. For example, if you store 10,000 objects with Amazon S3, you can on average expect to incur a loss of a single object once every 10,000,000 years. In addition, Amazon S3 is designed to sustain the concurrent loss of data in two facilities.

It's overkill. (Im not saying you shouldn't backup) Because you should to be 100 safe.
But I wouldn't spend much money on it because it's already so safe.
Just buy a large HD and sync S3 to your local HD. That's probably the cheapest.

That's possible with the add-on I mentioned.

How do you make sure that you never loose your attachments? Do you use a backup to AS3?

We use S3 for all of our dynamic assets on themehouse.com (product files, thumbnails, etc) and I've got a bash script that automatically syncs the remote buckets to a local server in our office daily

Top Bottom