Is There An Easy Way To Change "Conversation" To "Private Message"?

Deepmartini

I want to change the word "conversation" to "private message" as most users already know what a private message is but are confused about conversations. Is there an easy to change this across the whole site? I started manually editing the templates but there were hundreds of instances to change, making it very tedious. How do I do it all at once?

Ingenious

Good question, I'd love to know if there's a shortcut too, as I'm thinking of doing the same. I am sure there was a thread about this recently though and the verdict was no, no easy way.

Deepmartini

Good question, I'd love to know if there's a shortcut too, as I'm thinking of doing the same. I am sure there was a thread about this recently though and the verdict was no, no easy way.
Maybe this is an upcoming feature? Like a simple search and replace. Or how about an option with a tick box: choose private conversations or private messages. Every other forum uses private messages and it's something people already understand. No need to retrain them. Keep it simple.

DRE

No easy way.

You can create a TMS addon and use it to search and replace all references of conversation, concersations, personal conversation, personal conversations etc. I was going to do that and release it in the resource manager but then I saw that it would conflict with syndol's conversation essentials addon and gave up cause then I would have to create two different versions of that addon. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Morgain

If you put "Conversation" in Apperances/ Search Phrases - you get a good list of occurrences. You could then experiment with some changes.
Best to have a test install for experiments. But small changes made one by one then check to see result shouldn't cause problems.
Syndol's addon will use the master value of a phrase so editing the phrase output won't conflict. Just check the resulting display in several places - new conversation page, conversation thread page, links in the Inbox.

DRE

If you put "Conversation" in Apperances/ Search Phrases - you get a good list of occurrences. You could then experiment with some changes.
Best to have a test install for experiments. But small changes made one by one then check to see result shouldn't cause problems.
Syndol's addon will use the master value of a phrase so editing the phrase output won't conflict. Just check the resulting display in several places - new conversation page, conversation thread page, links in the Inbox.
Syndol's addon has his own phrases too last time I checked.

Luxus

Here is how I would do it:

- Export your language
- Open the XML and search for phrases that contain the term conversation
- Modify them to your liking
- Import the XML as a child language of your main language

This means whenever you update xenforo you would retain the modified phrases in the child language.

Edit: You probably want to use this add-on then.

Yes this has caused some confusion with my test group who all asked if they were private messages or a public conversation. The term private feels quite important to explain it as you could say everything is a conversation.

Morgain

Yes .... but the term 'private' is inappropriate to many admins because they don't (can't) run them as private. (This is a whole debate I am not intending to reopen here: there is a thread about it).

The name Personal Conversation is often used, in this case, as it preserves the acronym PC.
The admin concerned would usually put a suitable reference in their Terms.

I know that there was no answer for a couple years in this thread but seems to be the only thread where this one is discussed and I really doubt people haven't thinked about an easy way to change "Conversations" to "Private Message" which well, all forum platforms use it except xenforo and it doesn't make sense. Yes, I love how it doesn't create a new message everytime someone replies to your pm but majority of forum users are familiar with the term of private message and not conversation.