XF 2.1 Is there a way to...? (or: 'Are these features really missing?')

Hilary

...display subforums below the thread listing in a particular parent forum, instead of at the top above the threads?

...have a parent node for a group of forums open as a separate page, instead of only a link to an anchor on the main forum index?

...display forums in the forum listing to people who can't access them? (So they would see the name of the forum and be reminded they're missing something.)

...allow users to set their own preferences for thread pagination (how many posts per page)?

(All these things were possible in vBulletin 4, and while I'm devoutly glad to have escaped that, these are some features I miss.)

...enlarge the avatar next to posts, or make it square?

...have a 'cancel' button on the post editor that people can use to delete their message before posting, and not have it saved as a draft?

Thanks, yes, we got that. What it doesn't do is to delete the contents of the post editor - that still has to be done with ctrl+A and delete. (I'm not sure why people especially want a button to do that, but they do.)

I do appreciate your time! Can you help with any of the questions in my first post, by any chance?

Thanks, yes, we got that. What it doesn't do is to delete the contents of the post editor - that still has to be done with ctrl+A and delete. (I'm not sure why people especially want a button to do that, but they do.)
This is annoying to me as well, while using a mobile device. Really do need a "cancel" button for this.
The editor automatically saves it before posting.
You have a choice to delete it before posting.
Delete equals cancel
The little save/delete button isn't there in the editor, for the smallish mobile browsers. I've only ever seen it on desktop.

Does anyone know about these?
...display subforums below the thread listing in a particular parent forum, instead of at the top above the threads?

...have a parent node for a group of forums open as a separate page, instead of only a link to an anchor on the main forum index?

...display forums in the forum listing to people who can't access them? (So they would see the name of the forum and be reminded they're missing something.)

/admin.php?options/groups/nodeList/

Create pages for categories
When enabled, clicking on a link to a category will take you to a dedicated page that only shows the children of that category. When disabled, users will be redirected to the full forum list and scrolled to the correct category.

Go to the Node permissions of whatever group(s) you want to exclude and set View Sticky Threads, View Threads By Others, and Post New Thread all to 'No'. That will let the User see the forum but make it impossible for them to see any of the content or create any content in it.

You can also set it so they see titles of threads, but not the content, so they click and get the no permission message (and you can have a Notice at the top that they need to upgrade for access, set only to those groups). :D

Last edited:
You can also set it so they see titles of threads, but not the content, so they click and get the no permission message (and you can have a Notice at the top that they need to upgrade for access, set only to those groups). :D
I was wrong about this. I used to do it in other software though.

Top Bottom