Big board (5m posts) checking for missing features

I have a big board (5m+ posts) and want to migrate to Xenforo from VB3 due to increasing server load. Big board search is what's convincing me...

However, I've identified a list of small and painful things that it doesn't look like Xenforo does out of the box. Does anyone know of mods that address these gaps, or easy ways to do it myself? Or if I'm just missing something?

-Eliminate avatars (without just leaving question marks everywhere). This is a really big deal for a serious board. All I found were pointers to places that have avatar related code, and general suggestions of how to hack in something else.

- Post edit history. I found one mod that does it but adds a bunch of new stuff to your entire post database (rather than creating a separate table for post history). Too big a change.

- Cookie based sockpuppet detector. I use one of these on VB3 and it's a really important tool. I found one here but it is obsolete and not maintained.

- No mass operations on threads (i.e. checkboxes to select threads, then move/delete them). When this is useful it's really really useful.

- Can't edit thread titles. Members are really used to being able to do this.

- Can't find a mod to throttle the number of posts a usergroup can make in a specific forum over time.

- QUESTION: Can I control which forums add to post count? I want to promote users who post to certain forums.

- QUESTION: Can user signups be moderated (to check for obvious spammers) by mods who don't have administrator privileges? This is a grunt work task that needs to be farmed out to a bunch of people.

- QUESTION: Can mods/admins see the poster's IP in the postbit and search for duplicate IPs?

- QUESTION: Are there any good pointers to sharing Xenforo's authentication with other apps? I need shared authentication with a wiki.

Thanks for any help!

I really want to migrate to Xenforo but I need to resolve at least some of the above questions/issues. Otherwise it will be too painful and I'll try to wait for 1.2 (who knows how long...) in hopes some of them will be addressed by the Xenforo team.

I have a big board (5m+ posts) and want to migrate to Xenforo from VB3 due to increasing server load. Big board search is what's convincing me...

However, I've identified a list of small and painful things that it doesn't look like Xenforo does out of the box. Does anyone know of mods that address these gaps, or easy ways to do it myself? Or if I'm just missing something?

-Eliminate avatars (without just leaving question marks everywhere). This is a really big deal for a serious board. All I found were pointers to places that have avatar related code, and general suggestions of how to hack in something else.

- Post edit history. I found one mod that does it but adds a bunch of new stuff to your entire post database (rather than creating a separate table for post history). Too big a change.

- Cookie based sockpuppet detector. I use one of these on VB3 and it's a really important tool. I found one here but it is obsolete and not maintained.

- No mass operations on threads (i.e. checkboxes to select threads, then move/delete them). When this is useful it's really really useful.

- Can't find a mod to throttle the number of posts a usergroup can make in a specific forum over time.

- QUESTION: Can I control which forums add to post count? I want to promote users who post to certain forums.

- QUESTION: Can user signups be moderated (to check for obvious spammers) by mods who don't have administrator privileges? This is a grunt work task that needs to be farmed out to a bunch of people.

- QUESTION: Can mods/admins see the poster's IP in the postbit and search for duplicate IPs?

- QUESTION: Are there any good pointers to sharing Xenforo's authentication with other apps? I need shared authentication with a wiki.

Thanks for any help!

I really want to migrate to Xenforo but I need to resolve at least some of the above questions/issues. Otherwise it will be too painful and I'll try to wait for 1.2 (who knows how long...) in hopes some of them will be addressed by the Xenforo team.

1) You would need to remove the relevent code from the templates. There is no "off button" so to speak.

2) I believe there are 2 mods available for this. I suggest (and use) the one by Mercenary design on p8ntballer (1.2M post forum) http://mercenarydesign.com.au/products/edit-history

3) Not another one available at this point afaik.

4) This is available as standard

5) Hopefully to be included in 1.2

6) I recall there being some way to do this, ill see if i can find the link.

7) Post count can be selected on a per forum basis

8) Not afaik

9) Yes

10) Theres plenty of skilled coders available to assist / advise you on any questions you may have.

Easy enough to do with a template replacement using the TMS system.

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/user-essentials.408/
No it doesn't
  • This add-on does not alter the XenForo xf_post MySQL table, which means it can easily be installed on large boards.
Yes, actually there is.
Again, http://xenforo.com/community/resources/user-essentials.408/

Yep, it's an option for each forum - "Count messages posted in this forum toward user total"

Looks like I'll be biting the bullet and trying this, although it looks like I'll have to pay $70 for addons to get little features that will eventually be rolled into the base code.

It'll be really interesting to see what elasticsearch does and if it works within my server's memory limit, since reducing server load through enhanced search is basically the single pressing reason to change boards.

My server is a dual i7 with 12 GB RAM. The board is ~5 million posts, ~15 GB mysqldump size, up to 1500 users online. It's using the VB3 default search with 3 character min word size.

I found that with 1000 users online things were OK with load usually under 2, but with 1500 it's horrible with load more like 5-8 and pages occasionally failing to load.

Looks like I'll be biting the bullet and trying this, although it looks like I'll have to pay $70 for addons to get little features that will eventually be rolled into the base code.

It'll be really interesting to see what elasticsearch does and if it works within my server's memory limit, since reducing server load through enhanced search is basically the single pressing reason to change boards.

My server is a dual i7 with 12 GB RAM. The board is ~5 million posts, ~15 GB mysqldump size, up to 1500 users online. It's using the VB3 default search with 3 character min word size.

I found that with 1000 users online things were OK with load usually under 2, but with 1500 it's horrible with load more like 5-8 and pages occasionally failing to load.

12 gigs of ram and 5 million posts? ES will fly like the wind :)

Top Bottom