Is there a CMS planned?

To be fair, this is like a launch day and I would expect them to see them post here. One or two days out of the develop cycle is not going to hurt that much. Let them savour this day and the next before getting back into coding. It will help in the long run seeing all the positive comments from new and old faces.

Totally agree... this is the day for them to be read read reading and getting ideas and motivation to drive them on further... This is a great software and you can see that by the comments and I hope that is exactly what Mike and Kier are hearing... Even if it is currently driving them crazy because they can't keep up with it all :D...

They must be so chuffed with the response, it's like they invented a cure for cancer or something!

That's what I've been thinking too.

[SIZE=12pt]I hope they are both chilling and enjoying a drink or six whilst they are reading the feedback posts, they deserve it.[/SIZE]

They must be so chuffed with the response, it's like they invented a cure for cancer or something!

Lol, I was just thinking a similar thought. The developers deserve all this praise. It really is a breath of fresh air. I hope Ashley (unless he already has) joins the party soon but if he doesn't not to worry, this is one party that is not going to stop.

I used to read vb.com everyday (the first site I visited) but now I know I will be here first and then other sites. I've not posted much over at vb.com and with all the crap that is happening I really felt sorry for the guys that know how to do forum stuff having the rug ripped out from under them. I can honestly say that if they just put up a paypal donate button then I would click and pay some money. They deserve it. They shaped forums with vbulletin, they WILL reshape the next generation forums with XenForo. No doubt.

A CMS is a very obvious expansion point, so it will be something we'll be looking at down the line. It's also something that needs a lot of info from (potential) users. I don't think there's any type of software that means as many different things to different people. It's very important to get the CMS right.
Amen! So if you are going to release a CMS, please please please take your time and get it right! Even if that means we won't see one until 2.0.

I fully support not writing a CMS at this point.

No doubt, someone will step in and do the Portal page like vBAdvanced CMPS, etc.

As for a full CMS, I'm starting to think it's a fool's errand to write one from scratch at this point. Joomla 1.5 has a large installed base and 5,000 plugins. And Joomla 1.6 will finally fix the 2 major architectural flaws that have prevented its widespread adoption -- no Usergroup Permissions, and no Hierarchical Content.

Well... a lot of people feel that Internet Brands has killed vBulletin or at least made it seriously dysfunctional, so your comparison is not that strange...

I guess u will not be the only one ;)
I would appreciate a CMS too. That was one of the, for me, important points why i bought vB Suite

Mine too. If Kier&Mike can deliver a CMS and integrated Blog somewhere next year (who knows what's possible with this new framework) I bet a heck of a lot of vBulletin customers -who didn't already jumped the sinking vBulletin ship to Invision- will seriously consider xenForo.

What an exciting times ahead!

A wordpress bridge (done properly) would curb my appetite for a CMS as well.

Mine too.

Me too.

For my own site, I am using my old licenced vbulletin 3.x that had bridging capabilities with WordPress . I am happy with this platform. It best suits my needs.

I took a deeply look to Blog/Portal's Internet Brands and from my point of view, it is of a low standard and lack certain features when compared to WordPress. So I am sharing my opinion that the best would be a plugin pro to WordPress, Joomla, etc.

So I will look at the forums I can integrate with my current WordPress powered homepage.

I'd rather prefer fully integrated in-house CMS/Blog than a bridge.I don't see a point in integrating with other platforms as WordPress is WordPress and XenForo is XenForo. Just give as something similar to vBa CMPS for starters.

I'd rather prefer fully integrated in-house CMS/Blog than a bridge.I don't see a point in integrating with other platforms as WordPress is WordPress and XenForo is XenForo. Just give as something similar to vBa CMPS for starters.

But WordPress is already fully developed, full of features, has a great userbase and support, etc. The argument is that it would take much less time and resources to develop a good bridge than it would to develop a CMS from scratch. You would have essentially the same (if not better) featureset, the users would already be familiar with it, you can let the other guys do the development work, etc. :)

It seems the market really demands CMS nowadays, as a forum only lacks much luster from a websites appeal.

An all round solution... Forum core product that allows each product developed be fully integrated OR a bridge with third party product be used. I prefer a product from the developers, so I know its fully integrated and functional with the core, not just hacked in partially with a bridge.

But WordPress is already fully developed, full of features, has a great userbase and support, etc. The argument is that it would take much less time and resources to develop a good bridge than it would to develop a CMS from scratch. You would have essentially the same (if not better) featureset, the users would already be familiar with it, you can let the other guys do the development work, etc. :)

Voilà.

Personally I would like a full functional bridge between WP to start with. That will buy them time to develop a CMS and it will offer people who rather go with a bridge the ability. They have nothing to lose (maybe some hours) and all to gain.

I want a product in the marketplace as soon as I can get it there. Diverting to produce a CMS would involve months of delay. There will be a CMS eventually, but it's not part of what we are working on for 1.0.

I also feel that you have a better "start" than vBulletin, or IPB, or anyone else. With your forum being built from the ground up in this technological generation, you mostly use a setup such as MVC, frameworks (saw that somewhere), and a solid base. You make it sound easy to expand now that your framework is there. vBulletin is trying to make their additional product the basis with content types, but nothing but a few actually use these. It makes for a less "powerful" system. From what I can see, xenForo is powerful, and can imagine how powerful anything else is.

And I will agree with Deebs:

I suspect that the core engine of this product (ie db schema, content types, relationships etc) is already designed to have CMS/Gallery/Video/whatever functionality added at a later date. The forums are the most important part of the first release. Get them right, work on the next set of deliverables without having to change the core engine powering all the components that will make up XenForo.

Although, I will disagree that a CMS from scratch is mute point. I personally feel that something that was designed to be tied to a single product (think vBCMS + vB or IP.Content + IP.B), is better at integrating together than a bridge to one. Drupal has its on permissions, its on setup, its on styling, its on everything. When I start a site with a forum + site, I want consistency. A bridge means I'd need two styles. Now, if this bridge could somehow rewrite their templates, permissions, etc., into the xenForum way, go for it, but I doubt that. CMS from scratch is the way to go for an integrated system in my opinion. I know they may not be as feature rich, but they have tighter integration on a grander scale.

It's not that I don't support a fully integrated CMS (I see the advantages and fully support the idea at some point in the future), it's just that right now a full, integrated, from-scratch CMS is just not feasible, while a bridge probably is. :)

I would rather seem them make sure the forum is rock-solid and mostly feature-complete, then they can knock out a CMS, blogs, gallery, events system, etc one at a time.

Top Bottom