Is there a CMS planned?

As has been mentioned in this thread, we are focusing on the forum and core components first. Presumably they're your bread and butter if you're here, so we need to make sure that we hit the bits that people need.

A CMS is a very obvious expansion point, so it will be something we'll be looking at down the line. It's also something that needs a lot of info from (potential) users. I don't think there's any type of software that means as many different things to different people. It's very important to get the CMS right.

There is no point trying to compete with Facebook. They do what they do extremely well and they are vast.

We are concentrating on doing what we do better than anyone else, and that means not stretching our resources so thinly that nothing received the required amount of design and attention to detail that it requires.

If you don't want to compete with Facebook, then why does Facebook (and Yahoo and Google) are competing with forums? You need to keep an eye on them!

As has been mentioned in this thread, we are focusing on the forum and core components first. Presumably they're your bread and butter if you're here, so we need to make sure that we hit the bits that people need.

A CMS is a very obvious expansion point, so it will be something we'll be looking at down the line. It's also something that needs a lot of info from (potential) users. I don't think there's any type of software that means as many different things to different people. It's very important to get the CMS right.

I agree with you, but you can also see how competitors are doing things, and expand on that, and make your solution even better. Hint. Apple. Hint.

There is no point trying to compete with Facebook. They do what they do extremely well and they are vast.

We are concentrating on doing what we do better than anyone else, and that means not stretching our resources so thinly that nothing received the required amount of design and attention to detail that it requires.

If you don't want to compete with Facebook, then why does Facebook (and Yahoo and Google) are competing with forums? You need to keep an eye on them!

Facebook, yahoo, and whoever else is in the social networking area will never really compete in the forum market. They do not do forums well enough on any level, the few things they do do extremely well (yahoo groups mailing) are not a huge selling point for most communities.

Understood ... but say Facebook becomes as good in what they do as Gmail is with email ... what do you think will happen to forums ?

and keep in mind you now have Google getting into social ... even niche forums will feel it ... so this means it can be game over and all your work will be in vain.

It won't happen ? ... Facebook already has the 500,000,000 people going to 1 Billion and an ARMY of developers ... add a killer forum app to FB and you will say too little too late.

Facebook, yahoo, and whoever else is in the social networking area will never really compete in the forum market. They do not do forums well enough on any level, the few things they do do extremely well (yahoo groups mailing) are not a huge selling point for most communities.

See below

Understood ... but say Facebook becomes as good in what they do as Gmail is with email ... what do you think will happen to forums ?

and keep in mind you now have Google getting into social ... even niche forums will feel it ... so this means it can be game over and all your work will be in vain.

It won't happen ? ... Facebook already has the 500,000,000 people going to 1 Billion and an ARMY of developers ... add a killer forum app to FB and you will say too little too late.

[/quote]

This won't happen for a long time. Remember that no everyone will want to sign up to FaceBook. They're constantly getting hammered about privacy and all sorts of things. Some countries and organisations even ban Facebook. I don't see forums going out any time soon.

So I guess I'm stuck with vB 3.8 once again. :( All this excitement for nothing.

The point is if these components like CMS/Gallery are not planned as part of the core, they will end up as Addons; just like what happened in vBulletin.

So I guess I'm stuck with vB 3.8 once again. :( All this excitement for nothing.

Hemanth, would you rather the development and quality of the product be impeded on by another product? I'd rather this weren't the case.

I want a product in the marketplace as soon as I can get it there. Diverting to produce a CMS would involve months of delay. There will be a CMS eventually, but it's not part of what we are working on for 1.0.

Sorry mate, I don't quite get it. Is that Yes or No or May be with respect to the original question?

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/random-questions-answered.114/#post-2236

I want a product in the marketplace as soon as I can get it there. Diverting to produce a CMS would involve months of delay. There will be a CMS eventually, but it's not part of what we are working on for 1.0.

That's fair enough, always good to learn to walk before you attempt to run IMO.

When you get time to give an idea of when CMS maybe available it would be great, that would help me decide if it's worth sticking with vb4 until you are ready, or move on to something else until XenForo becomes an option for me.

I think this is a good policy. Problem is though, that a lot of vbulletin forums are stuck due to integrated addons. Especially with addons that are no longer supported like GARS, NuWiki, LDM.

The point is if these components like CMS/Gallery are not planned as part of the core, they will end up as Addons; just like what happened in vBulletin.
Not true. If a piece of software is built correctly, keeping things like additional features such as CMS, Gallery, etc. in mind, then they won't end up as just addons.

Kier ... like Bill Gates said ... Business must move at the Speed of Thought ... it can be done ...

maybe for the next release you can execute faster ... but so far Fastastic work ! I'm sold :)

Not true. If a piece of software is built correctly, keeping things like additional features such as CMS, Gallery, etc. in mind, then they won't end up as just addons.

And if done right, they won't duplicate code and take forever to implement either.

Fair enough. :)

My point was simple. For XenForo to become a serious competition to vBSuite or IP.Suite it should be packed with fully integrated features like CMS, Gallery, downloads, Blogs etc. rather than a jQuery pumped clone of PHPBB. (semi j/k);)

Hi Kier,

This is fantastic to hear! You already started on a CMS 8 (!!!) years ago at Jelsoft's, but -to unknown reasons- it never materialized. Let's hope that this time things will be different without any corporate manager above your heads. I am in strong need of integrated Blogs and CMS (or a bridge/integration with existing software like Wordpress/Joomla, but I don't have a clue what the cons or benefits are compared to an integrated solution). The only thing I know is that if XenForo wants to compete with vBulletin (although vBulletin itself is vBulletin biggest competitor nowadays :( if you asked me (and thousands of other people) and Invision, it is going to need both Blogs and a CMS.

Honestly, I am going to go against the crowd here and say I would rather have them develop a really good bridge to a good CMS rather than spend months developing their own. Unless they're really confident they can develop a good CMS. Either way, I totally agree that right now, the focus should be on the core components (forum) rather than developing a CMS, blog, gallery, etc.

Honestly, I am going to go against the crowd here and say I would rather have them develop a really good bridge to a good CMS rather than spend months developing their own. Unless they're really confident they can develop a good CMS. Either way, I totally agree that right now, the focus should be on the core components (forum) rather than developing a CMS, blog, gallery, etc.

I couldn't give a toss if it's their own CMS/Blog/Calendar/etc or a bridge - as long as it works, unlike vb4, it will be a bonus. :cool:

Top Bottom