Is there a CMS planned?

Anything wrong with following up late? Everyone has their own live, so do I. Work, meeting, paper work, projects, home, dinner, sleep, then work again.. ..

whatnot! and I only have the free time mostly on weekends and I'm using part of it to follow up on some of the neglected posts.

I'm sorry if my reply annoyed you.
Well, it's just that that whole thing was kind of an argument 10 pages back, and then it sounded like you were kind of attacking him in your reply, so I didn't want this thread to devolve into arguing again. :)

Well, it's just that that whole thing was kind of an argument 10 pages back, and then it sounded like you were kind of attacking him in your reply, so I didn't want this thread to devolve into arguing again. :)
The thread is over really, anything more is just off topic babble.

However can you blame anyone for attacking vrtsolus after what he made his signature? Thats plain flamebaiting (I was just told what it was now).

To be clear, how much development have you done with a CMS, how far have you taken it with your projects?

I guess what I really want to see is a detailed case study to support why you’re against giving CMS (WP for exampe) the credit it deserves? But not just googling for answer and claim that you've defined whatsoever again. I don't want see yet another eassy either. I’m sure we could go back and forth forever with you giving reasons and me countering them.

With the CMS I coded, I have used it in nearly all websites I manage, but additionally, it is being used on websites I now manage for small business in the local area. I consider it stable enough for production use. I believe that the software has a primary use as well as other elements. In the case of WP, to me, it is evident that it's primary function is not a CMS, but rather a blogging system, with CMS as a secondary function.

Apparently I hit a third rail in the CMS world, because the comments kept flowing.

And, it still remains a vendor and consultant dominated landscape that you trying to frame the space based on the tools and put up artificial walls based on product price points or analyst quadrants/waves. And yes, I lump myself into that bucket, although I try my hardest to stay on the outside.

Don’t even get us started on what to call our space (SMS, WCM, CMS, BAH).

You see.. Any topic with so many evangelists touting “How to use ABC as an XYZ”, probably means that either 1) ABC is admittedly not an XYZ, but it can be used in a similar fashion if tweaked or used in a certain way, or 2) ABC is not quite as intuitive as we might have thought, and these how-to videos, articles and blogs are required to educate users. I tend to think number one is more likely.

Well, the all-too-easy argument that WP is a system which manages web content; therefore it must not be a CMS. Sorry, this doesn’t hold water for me. Using that logic alone, toilet paper and disposable napkins are both paper towels. We know this doesn’t make sense, so let’s not get literal. I’ll grant you that the other term could be better defined--more on that later.

The argument that if someone uses WP as a WCMS, then that makes it one. If you’re being honest, it won’t take you more than ten seconds to come up with five examples of tchotchkes you use for unintended purposes.

That's not the logic at all. I look at the functions and the primary function to determine what the heck a piece of software is. By your logic, this forum is also a CMS. Toiler paper and disposable napkins can be both paper towels. They're just not called paper towels, nor are they engineered to be so.

The thread is over really, anything more is just off topic babble.

However can you blame anyone for attacking vrtsolus after what he made his signature? Thats plain flamebaiting (I was just told what it was now).

At the time of set, it didn't seem like it was a flamebait - but I wanted to engage users into defining what this CMS is. I see your point.

At the time of set, it didn't seem like it was a flamebait - but I wanted to engage users into defining what this CMS is. I see your point.
Rather then engage users with a signature that could have been seen to flame the others who responded in this post, making a new post to define and conceptualize what is required for a CMS (Made for XenForo) would have been a better idea.

Rather then engage users with a signature that could have been seen to flame the others who responded in this post, making a new post to define and conceptualize what is required for a CMS (Made for XenForo) would have been a better idea.

The signature could not have been seen to flame the others who responded to the post. It was only inviting.

The signature could not have been seen to flame the others who responded to the post. It was only inviting.
I know several who responded who took it as a direct insult to themselves, and to others due to the way it was worded.

As I have stated, and as have Mike and Kier have stated, a CMS is different to each person, so no one person can define the exact requirement of a CMS.

Also, due to how things have changed with requirements in web technology, its a given that the definition of a CMS has changed (Just as the definition of a forum has changed). 

The origins of WordPress lie in the blogging community, however overtime, it seemed to have taken a secondary role as the platform itself evolved to be a content management system, dedicated to blogging, but extensible to be a content management system for a complete website.

Combined with the right plugins, it seems to have enough traction to support large scale communities and sites.

In the latest release of WordPress, I found it finally functional enough to be a content management system that I'm deploying it to replace vBulletin 4's lame excuse of a CMS.

More of my two cents.

I am glad if it will just be a forum product to start with. And has the option to expend in the future to have other (stand alone?) addons. This to me feels like it will simply be a solid core - foundation - on which the company can grow.
Agreed. Adding a CMS before a stable core is put together would be like adding a surround sound stereo system to your car before engine construction is finished.

I think XenForo and especially Mike and Kier are doing everything absolutely 100% perfectly.
They are concentrating solely on producing a first class, scalable, responsive forum software and are doing it to the best of not only their ability but arguably upon the cutting edge of web development standards. Who could ask for more? This is everyone's dream come true, seriously.

I am sure they are well aware that a CMS is a requirement, just as is blogs and social groups and other items (insert your personal requirement here).... They have never once said those things are not important and they have never stated they will not be building them either. As webmasters of successful forums you keep your threads on topic - I salute Kier and Mike for keeping the software 'on topic' until it reaches a production ready state in order to expedite a developer community so add-ons can be forthcoming. This approach my friends is the very very fastest way for us all to get what we want. Its pointless focusing on anything else at this juncture because that would only delay hundreds of developers coming on board to listen to wants and needs.

I dont think Kier and Mike have their heads in the clouds and as such realise their initial offering will only appeal to new websites and established mainly 'forum focused' websites. I am loving XF - even though I know I cannot personally upgrade to it for a long time to come - I personally need social groups, they are intergral to my site as is blogs..... but I sure as hell wont sit here whinging and moaning about it and expecting them to be present off the bat.

Im not asking anybody to forget about blogs, cms or *blah* but I am asking *some people* (ironically, they prolly wont even know who they are) to appreciate that the first very very important 'cell' needs to be born before it can split into 2,4,8,16 (read: developer community) to expedite the growth of this very very cool software.

In short, quit moaning, be patient and by all means formulate your wish lists.... the developer community is already listening and waiting to get started.

With the CMS I coded, I have used it in nearly all websites I manage, but additionally, it is being used on websites I now manage for small business in the local area. I consider it stable enough for production use. I believe that the software has a primary use as well as other elements. In the case of WP, to me, it is evident that it's primary function is not a CMS, but rather a blogging system, with CMS as a secondary function.

Apparently I hit a third rail in the CMS world, because the comments kept flowing.

And, it still remains a vendor and consultant dominated landscape that you trying to frame the space based on the tools and put up artificial walls based on product price points or analyst quadrants/waves. And yes, I lump myself into that bucket, although I try my hardest to stay on the outside.

Don’t even get us started on what to call our space (SMS, WCM, CMS, BAH).

You see.. Any topic with so many evangelists touting “How to use ABC as an XYZ”, probably means that either 1) ABC is admittedly not an XYZ, but it can be used in a similar fashion if tweaked or used in a certain way, or 2) ABC is not quite as intuitive as we might have thought, and these how-to videos, articles and blogs are required to educate users. I tend to think number one is more likely.

That's not the logic at all. I look at the functions and the primary function to determine what the heck a piece of software is. By your logic, this forum is also a CMS. Toiler paper and disposable napkins can be both paper towels. They're just not called paper towels, nor are they engineered to be so.

As always, you should double check everything before hitting the "reply" link. Do you know ....

... You are actually quoting my post and posting it like your own. :)

Dave there have been many requests for a CMS/Portal. I really wouldn't look for it for a good while.

You should look more into that portal add-on, yes?

ya its perfect apart from it goes to /portal/ and not the frontpage.

I would not know where to start - i'm happy to pay a coder to do it for me :D

I sent Jaxel a PC but he dont answer me - yesterday I sent it.

Top Bottom