Is the Resource Manager good enough to be used as a CMS for articles? Or would it be too difficult?

Deepmartini

I am curious if the new resource manager is a good substitute for a proper CMS (content management system), and would make sense to use for articles and other static content?

The main concern I have is that the content would be a bit "buried" and "hidden" from the rest of the site and look too separate from the forum. I would also need to pull items from the resource manager up to the front page to highlight my articles etc.

What do you think? Is it good enough? Or would just be too difficult to use for this purpose and look strange?

I'm planning on using it for a basic CMS for my How To guides on the forum.

They shouldn't be hidden from the rest of the site, as I'll be linking them to a discussion topic so they will appear in the recent news feed.

I'm just having a hard time trying to visualize it for articles. I still think I would have to do a lot of "integration" work to get it to look right like a magazine article portal or possibly content homepage, and not just a download area.

What's wrong with XenPorta? We ditched wordpress and haven't yet discovered something we can't do with it.

I'm just having a hard time trying to visualize it for articles. I still think I would have to do a lot of "integration" work to get it to look right like a magazine article portal or possibly content homepage, and not just a download area.
I've got no plans making mine a download area, they will just be articles with text and images, and a link to a discussion thread that will be in it's own section.

What's wrong with XenPorta? We ditched wordpress and haven't yet discovered something we can't do with it.

It's too basic for what many of us want our landing page to look like. If it had the ability to set things up in multiple columns as well as create separate categories, it would be perfect.

I've got no plans making mine a download area, they will just be articles with text and images, and a link to a discussion thread that will be in it's own section.

Maybe it's because the discussion area of the resource manager is in a separate tab is what's making it hard for me to visualize it for articles. If there was a way to have the discussion under the main area that would be a good start.

I will probably still buy the resource manager when it goes on sale and give it a try. Hope I can finagle it to work as a light CMS. Any other ideas?

I have already planned an RM design to use for Articles. It takes some Phrase changes, and the template will need some css edits.
Discussion links can be added by copying the existing one - the large button now seeen on the sidebar could be placed under the article content.

The RM gives page content, categories and sub-categories of articles, with preview straplines, info on author and publication date, discussion link to new or existing thread (the latter by merging threads). It'll appear in What's New? and continue to appear as discussion develops, with the discussion thread having a tab link back to the Article. Individual authors will have a page of their articles as listings with preview straplines, and link off their Profile page.

The main problem is that longer Articles will need multiple pages.
See here for my appeal for help on this.
Also screenshot mockup.
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/resource-manager-addon-articles-dev-wanted.46270/#post-497888

I am hopeful the new Simple Portal can be made to work with it to pull content on to the front page. Should be doable.

I have already planned an RM design to use for Articles. It takes some Phrase changes, and the template will need some css edits.
Discussion links can be added by copying the existing one - the large button now seeen on the sidebar could be placed under the article content.

The RM gives page content, categories and sub-categories of articles, with preview straplines, info on author and publication date, discussion link to new or existing thread (the latter by merging threads). It'll appear in What's New? and continue to appear as discussion develops, with the discussion thread having a tab link back to the Article. Individual authors will have a page of their articles as listings with preview straplines, and link off their Profile page.

The main problem is that longer Articles will need multiple pages.
See here for my appeal for help on this.
Also screenshot mockup.
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/resource-manager-addon-articles-dev-wanted.46270/#post-497888

I am hopeful the new Simple Portal can be made to work with it to pull content on to the front page. Should be doable.
How will you display your articles on the front page?
There's no sidebar widgets of forum modules for The Resource Manager.

Working with WordPress (Stop looking at me, I need to eat too), I realized how powerful XenForo can be if RM is integrated into the core and the whole thing became a powerful CMS, although multilingual content will need some work.

Top Bottom