Can the Resource Manager be used as a directory?

jim83

In order to entice new users, I'm thinking about reaching out to content creators (bloggers, for example) to let them know that they can promote their blog on my forum. The resource manager SEEMS like an interesting idea, because users can vote on their blogs, write reviews, etc.

But there has to be a practical way to sort/categorize them.

I was thinking about allowing them to put up a full size screen shot of their home page, with a link back to their site. This should definitely encourage new sign-ups, right? And I thought maybe the resource manager could be a place where I could categorize the blog directory by each blog's particular focus.

I would also like to try and figure out a way to "categorize" users, if that is possible. For example, I'd like to provide a directory of YouTubers, a separate directory for bloggers, a separate directory for freelance authors and researchers, for example. The thing is, for a user directory--I want to be able to put my actual XF members into this directory. So, in other words, if you want to be listed in the people directory, you'd need to sign up for a forum account. Same goes for the blog directory.

I'm kind of thinking a user directory would be pretty cool, so that guests could browse and discover different experts in the field. This is win/win for everyone.

Does anyone know if this might be possible via the resource manager?

Just pay someone to do a real directory instead of using something for something that it's not designed for. You'll just run into a mess forcing it to do things it wasn't ever meant to do.

Top Bottom