XF 1.5 Is search index rebuild req'd after lowering minimum word length?

Ok. I lowered it from 3 to 4 and then tried to search a 3 letter word and got an error - maybe it was too common then. Is that something that the Enhanced Search is better at?

Just to clarify, if you're not using enhanced search, to change the minimum word length, it needs to be changed in MySQL's configuration. This will in turn lead to all full text indexes on the server needing to be rebuilt (within MySQL) or errors may occur. Only once this is done can you drop the minimum word length option in XF.

What was the error?
I don't recall, it was a while ago, and I was just thinking about it when reading something else

to change the minimum word length, it needs to be changed in MySQL's configuration. This will in turn lead to all full text indexes on the server needing to be rebuilt (within MySQL) or errors may occur.
So this is different from just rebuilding the search index. Would it be the same effect if I changed the mySQL setting, then rebuilt the search index via ACP (and checked the box for erase the old one)? Or is rebuilding in mySQL pretty quick comparatively?

Rebuilding the index in MySQL should be much faster and may be required (compared to rebuilding it in XF) to ensure that the internal structures are reflected correctly. Note this would apply to any full text index you have in any database; it's possible there are places outside of XF that use it.

Top Bottom