Is it true you have to use your real name on Facebook ? Really ?

IMHO it is not about YOUR real name rather it is just a real name. That means a name like "I <3 Rain" and "HTML5 Edict" etc. might not be valid human names (hence, need a review). In case of Google+, they are trying to enforce that a profile should identify (or relate to) a Person. They are planning to keep business/company profiles in a separate space. That will make sure that we are not interchangeably using human properties to a business entity. Being a semantic web researcher, I really appreciate their effort. :)

I don't personally know, but I just use Facebook to actually connect with people I know in real life, or really old friends I haven't seen or talked in years, therefore what I want is my real name, so they can find me and see that they know me. Otherwise, I'd have no Facebook.

I personally don't see any purpose if you're going to be creating random stuff on it. I just see stalkers doing that, including people in real life creating fake names just to add girls/guys or people they don't want on their real Facebook, which is pretty sad.

I'm not a Facebooker.
I see my wife uses her real name.

I see people complain about Google+ and Facebook making you use your real name.
Do you really have to ?
I'm more surprised that you'd believe that kind of non sense. I've seen people use cute little names and names from games and stuff all the time.

Most people that uses real name, they are by choice.

I'm more surprised that you'd believe that kind of non sense. I've seen people use cute little names and names from games and stuff all the time.

Most people that uses real name, they are by choice.

I've seen those people having their google+ account (first month even their gmail) being discontinued because of it.

I'm unsure how else friends may want to reconnect with me (or I them) if we don't go by our actual names. :whistle:
I ask people like you "onimua" who you are on facebook, and it gives me 44 d* hern* results .. if the profile is private or not sharing private details with the public i still have to ask for the direct url because the profile pic is generic.

What's wrong with facebook.com/onimua ? ..

I have no problem with Google+ learning the ropes of what the world wants out of their + service, same with facebook, don't like it? Don't use it .. that's what I try to do at least.

It's a bit silly, but I do support the idea that I can talk to 'James', rather than his gaming tag, but that said, if THAT is who he is online, that's just as good to m as James .. I guess I am neutral on this hehe

I ask people like you "onimua" who you are on facebook, and it gives me 44 d* hern* results .. if the profile is private or not sharing private details with the public i still have to ask for the direct url because the profile pic is generic.

What's wrong with facebook.com/onimua ? ..

I have no problem with Google+ learning the ropes of what the world wants out of their + service, same with facebook, don't like it? Don't use it .. that's what I try to do at least.

It's a bit silly, but I do support the idea that I can talk to 'James', rather than his gaming tag, but that said, if THAT is who he is online, that's just as good to m as James .. I guess I am neutral on this hehe
Because most of my IRL friends don't know me as "Onimua"? How would someone from say, my middle school, know what name to use to search for me? If I'm giving someone my Facebook URL, then obviously it's easy, but what about someone I haven't seen in years and they decide to look me up and try to find me on Facebook? A username isn't going to help there.

Back in the olden days we used email. My friends all have mine.
While true, people also change their emails once in a while too, whether it's because of preference, ISP changes and not able to keep their old one, or deciding "omgfunkittygurl" as an email for work isn't exactly professional. ;) Now I've have the same email for years, and unlikely to change, but growing up I think I've gone through at least 3-5 different email addresses.

Your name doesn't usually change.

That's true. People aren't very responsible about email.

Facebook is sort of like a worldwide phone book in that sense. List your identity for everyone to search so people can find you. I choose to remain unlisted. :p

Top Bottom