Is it true you have to use your real name on Facebook ? Really ?

^
umm, privacy options?

who can search for you on facebook? no one (friends only)
who can read anything you post: friends only.
who can ad you as a freind: friends only.
who can message you: friends only.
photo album privacy options: friends only.

I cant see this being more a drama then say, giving your credit cards details and irl details to a gaming company that get hacked because they fail at security. *cough*sony*cough*

if you know how to read/push buttons, your "privacy" is private.

I can't keep track with all those name changes. lol
That's why I don't check any of them lol!

^
umm, privacy options?

who can search for you on facebook? no one (friends only)
who can read anything you post: friends only.
who can ad you as a freind: friends only.
who can message you: friends only.
photo album privacy options: friends only.

I cant see this being more a drama then say, giving your credit cards details and irl details to a gaming company that get hacked because they fail at security. *cough*sony*cough*

if you know how to read/push buttons, your "privacy" is private.
Facebook constantly changes their privacy settings and always assumes you want as little privacy as possible and by default sets the new options to be as open as possible. Then, the privacy settings are somewhat confusing and/or obfuscated. Can anyone with half a brain navigate it? Sure.... but half the people ON FB fail the turing test... :)

I would say as a whole....facebook has more under-experienced registered users than any other site because of the nature of what it is....that to me (failing at changing settings) comes with the territory of running a site where 80% of your audience things a dongle is a perverted word.

I got kicked off Google + for using a pseudonym.
Not sure if I'll use it until the allow pseudonyms.

Google is also sympathetic to users who for privacy reasons want to use a pseudonym on Google+, which currently requires people to use real names, he said.
"I am a pseudonymous user in many, many [online] services. I appreciate the ability to go incognito and anonymous at times," he said, adding that he believes those use cases remain valid across the Internet.
He said there is "no moral opposition" to pseudonyms on Google+, and that Google has heard the arguments in favor of them, but he stopped short of saying whether Google plans to allow their use on the site. "There's nothing to announce today and I'm sure that'll disappoint millions," he said.
The real-names policy triggered a controversy several weeks ago when Google started deleting profiles that it unilaterally determined were violating that rule.
Along the way, it deleted the profiles of people whose real names appeared to Google as fake because of non-traditional renderings. Google in response apologized and modified the procedure, opting to first inform users of a potential non-compliance and giving them a chance to respond before shutting down the profile.

More at ...

I got kicked off Google + for using a pseudonym.
Not sure if I'll use it until the allow pseudonyms.

More at ...
Did they just disable your G+ account, or did they remove your entire Google account? I've heard some horror stories about that.

I guess those of you who make your social networking profiles easy to find haven't had any problems with disgruntled, banned users from your online communities tracking you down.

http://boingboing.net/2011/08/27/eric-schmidt-if-you-cant-use-your-real-name-dont-use-google.html

He replied by saying that G+ was build primarily as an identity service, so fundamentally, it depends on people using their real names if they're going to build future products that leverage that information..
Lame.
Regarding people who are concerned about their safety, he said G+ is completely optional. No one is forcing you to use it. It's obvious for people at risk if they use their real names, they shouldn't use G+..
Lame as well.
Regarding countries like Iran and Syria, people there have no expectation of privacy anyway due to their government's own policies, which implies there's no point of even trying to have a service that allows pseudonyms..
Good point.

He also said the internet would be better if we knew you were a real person rather than a dog or a fake person. Some people are just evil and we should be able to ID them and rank them downward.
Please ! Google isn't trying to protect anyone. Give me a break. I can just make up a fake "real sounding name" anyway. It's not like you have to give your birth certificate and passport to get a G+ account.

They probably want real names so they can data mine against your name. I'm sure real names are more valuable to them. "No moral opposition to pseudonyms", says Bradley Horowitz.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
skip to 26min 27secs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5sRC67s9fg#t=26m27s

Top Bottom