1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it premature to start a Code Monkey Section?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by jonsidneyb, Jul 31, 2010.

1. jonsidneyb

jonsidneyb Well-Known Member

I know it may be way to early to do this but I was wondering if it was?

If there was a Code Monkey forum we could start getting to know them and find out what ideas and services they might be able to provide in advance of the forums debut.

2. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

I think it's a bit too early for this.

3. Floris

Floris Guest

I think it's not premature to start one behind closed doors, and make it public when there's a first public beta. Until then, I see no use for it?

4. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

jon it is a bit early for this. However, once the forum is a bit further along, I'm sure that's on the roadmap. Stay tuned!

5. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

Given that we haven't released any detailed technical information yet, it would be a little premature, but rest assured there will be a forum or section devoted to this purpose in due course.

6. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

Also, as has been mentioned before, there won't be an "official"/separate modding community. Mods can/will be posted right here in their own section. :D

7. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

I think kier will be building it's own repository for mods submission.

8. Jerry

Jerry Well-Known Member

Such a nasty term.

9. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

Kinda like Grease Monkey, which sounds like a hard working person.

10. Ianto

Ianto Member

I've always liked the term Code Monkey. :( It makes me feel special.

11. DarkGizmo

DarkGizmo Active Member

Are mods gonna work like Plugins/hooks (vbulletin/IPB3) or will they be in the form of code snippets that are posted and placed into a global overall template? (Zetaboards?) or will it go old school and require modifying the core files? (IPB 2.x and prior)

12. Floris

Floris Guest

I don't mind it either.

13. jonsidneyb

Hey, someone called themselves a Code Monkey and I asked them if that was a bad term.

See, I am innocent of any transgression ;)

14. WhatChaMissin

WhatChaMissin Active Member

did someone say roadmap? ;)

15. jonsidneyb

Yes....someone said roadmap :)

16. WhatChaMissin

WhatChaMissin Active Member

I keep hearing about them (roadmaps), but I've yet to see one. Maybe it will be different here. ;)

17. Jason

Jason Well-Known Member

So far, things are already vastly different ;)

They're probably still hashing things out. In due time, I'm sure.

18. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

It will absolutely be different here, you just have to be patient. Now,I know that you've heard that one before too so don't kick me. Just remember that the software has only been public for a couple of days, is brand new, and the devs are still hard at work on it The roadmap is not at the forefront of their minds I'm sure, nor should it be.

All in good time :)

19. jonsidneyb

I know someplace it was mentioned that there was a certain date that the guys that make custom plugins were going to get to see the software. Does anyone know where that post is?

20. Enigma

Enigma Well-Known Member

Kinda off-topic, but IMO, "code monkey" is slightly derogatory.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_monkey