XF 2.0 Is it not possible to copy user group permissions?

Frode789

I am making 5 new user groups, with some minor differences between them (used later for user upgrades). Do I really have to manually set the permissions for every group?... It is not possible to copy user group permissions? This is been possible even on the old phpbb3.

Bump. Group cloning and even NODE cloning is definitely necessary. Add it.
Group cloning goes agains the very designed nature of the XF groups and permissions.... just because folks are used to doing that way in IPS, myBB, phpBB, SMF, vB or whatever other script(s) they have used doesn't mean it should be done here.. in fact, in many ways, allowing both adds complexity and opens up the door to misconfigurations for settings.
The biggest issue is that admins are coming from other scripts and they have a GREAT difficulty wrapping their heads around cumulative permissions and it's REALLY easy to understand. And they don't want to have to learn because they believe that "I've always done it that way" it's the only way to do it.

You have your base permissions for everyone.
You want to give extra permissions or stylings, you create another group and change ONLY those permissions and then either manually assign your users to that group as SECONDARY groups. You also use the Display styling priority for membership in multiple secondary groups as a styling designator (if needed).
You want to have ladders of different styled groups... create those groups and ONLY change the styling settings in them (banner, etc and use the display styling priority). Then configure your promotions so that they get moved into that group and OUT OF the other group (this is what is more confusing for most than the permissions).
The constant "want" of group cloning is the "want" of a 16 pound sledge hammer to fix something that only needs a tack hammer applied to it, a I will beat you into submission because I'm to lazy to figure out the correct way to do it attitude.

As for "edge case"... THOSE are the ones that are wanting "group cloning". The remainder of us figured out long ago how to work with XF permissions the way they were designed to work - which is much more efficient.

The ONLY time I see "node cloning" as needed is if you have special permissions set for nodes.... and instead of node cloning, permission cloning would probably be more appropriate.

Top Bottom