XF 2.0 Is it not possible to copy user group permissions?

Frode789

I am making 5 new user groups, with some minor differences between them (used later for user upgrades). Do I really have to manually set the permissions for every group?... It is not possible to copy user group permissions? This is been possible even on the old phpbb3.

Ok, so even though user group X says "No" on "view node", then as long as the primary group (registered users) have it set to "yes", then it ignores any no in the secondary groups?

Not to bump an old thread-- but this really would be a nice feature.

I'm not a moron-- I completely understand the permission system and its inheritance (been dealing with forums for over 10 years now), but still would really benefit from having a duplicate function. As it is, when I make new groups to classify users with the same permissions, it is tedious. I realize it's not necessary but that is beside the point.

I have searched long and high and all I can see really is people Hell-bent on wasting time suggesting about how unnecessary it is, but still not budging on adding the feature. I'm a software developer myself so I can understand the "laziness" factor ("cba"), but with enough customers requesting it, I think it should be something considered in the future.

As it is, I'm stuck either wasting my time manually setting the exact same permissions, or trying to decode the way XF stores permissions in the database and making an SQL query to copy the permissions to the new group, which I'd much rather avoid.

Just my two-cents.

Not to bump an old thread-- but this really would be a nice feature.

I'm not a moron-- I completely understand the permission system and its inheritance (been dealing with forums for over 10 years now), but still would really benefit from having a duplicate function. As it is, when I make new groups to classify users with the same permissions, it is tedious. I realize it's not necessary but that is beside the point.

I have searched long and high and all I can see really is people Hell-bent on wasting time suggesting about how unnecessary it is, but still not budging on adding the feature. I'm a software developer myself so I can understand the "laziness" factor ("cba"), but with enough customers requesting it, I think it should be something considered in the future.

As it is, I'm stuck either wasting my time manually setting the exact same permissions, or trying to decode the way XF stores permissions in the database and making an SQL query to copy the permissions to the new group, which I'd much rather avoid.

Just my two-cents.

You could use this addon to clone groups with their permissions,

I know that this is an old thread, but I’m with those who want a user group clone function.

There’s nothing more frustrating than being told it’s not needed when we have a situation where it is actually needed and then not giving us that feature, especially when it’s easy to implement, like this one.

Adding convenience and saving time are things worth striving for and there could well be edge cases that the developers haven’t thought of. For example, creating a new group just slightly different to the source one to test out new permission features without disturbing the original group. When they’re properly worked out, the original user group can be modified along with the users it’s applied to.

I wanted to clone a user group just now, but couldn’t, hence found this thread and added my tuppence worth.

@Ozzy47 gonna take a look at that add-on. Good find. 👍

Years later and we still ask for group cloning. Is it really not necessary? Consider this then...

Bronze Member
Silver Member
Gold Member
Platinum Member
Diamond Member

We have that user group promotion ladder based on number of reactions and trophy points. Promoted member will be removed from current user group then added to the next tier user group. Each user group has different FA icon before their username, username color, user title, banner color and banner title. But all those user groups have the same group permissions and forum permissions.

How is group cloning not needed in that scenario?

It certainly is.
Erm ... no ;)

How is group cloning not needed in that scenario?
  1. Create a new usergroup "Base permissions for promoted users"
  2. Create a promotion to add users to that usergroup once they have reached the criteria for "Bronze" and don't remove them from that usergroup afterwards
  3. Change your Bronze, Silver, etc. usergroups not to set the "base permissions" - most likely this would mean that those usergroups only set icon, color, title, etc.
Problem solved without duplicating permissions.

IMHO this would be much easier than your current approach, especially if you want to change smth.

Usually (but not necessarily always), having a desire to duplicate permissions is an indicator for bad usergroup design.

Last edited:
As I already outlined in my previous post, duplicating permissions is not necessary in the scenario described by @orex .
Therefore I still believe your remark "It certainly is" to be incorrect.

Are you really saying that it's beyond them?
I am sorry, but I have no idea what that is supposed to mean?

Last edited:

• Sad
Reactions: FTL
Bump. Group cloning and even NODE cloning is definitely necessary. Add it.
I've never found either to be necessary. And I think if many people here thought it did there would be far more call for it.

I remember with vBulletin, copying groups and permissions was often necessary. But as soon as I moved to xenForo I found that it was something absolutely no longer something I needed to do.

You've literally posted in every single thread related to this request saying the same thing that in your edge case it isn't necessary. That's cool but it doesn't apply to everyone.

Reactions: FTL
Top Bottom