Is Elastic Search 2 noticeably faster?

Stuart Wright

We're still on 1.4.4 and I've asked my host to upgrade. He'll take it up to the version he's comfortable to support. Almost certainly 2. Maybe 2.2.0.
Obviously I'd expect the search to be 'better', but will I notice any difference, do you think on a forum with 2 million threads and 20 million posts?

If I'm honest, I doubt you'll notice a significant difference. Did you have any metrics indicating the actual search process was slow before? Elasticsearch is normally very fast (and can be scaled easily if your memory requirements grow).

Not noticeably faster (but I never thought speed results were a problem anyways), but I noticed it's memory usage had been improved. After it running a couple of days, I could drop it's config'ed memory allocation 25% without impact as it was now only using that much anyway.

We're still on 1.4.4 and I've asked my host to upgrade. He'll take it up to the version he's comfortable to support. Almost certainly 2. Maybe 2.2.0.
Obviously I'd expect the search to be 'better', but will I notice any difference, do you think on a forum with 2 million threads and 20 million posts?

The only difference really is the memory usage, which seems better, however the search results are returned in roughly the same speeds.

I don't care much on ES Speed (as it's always faster for me on SSD based server), but the Security update it has is the main reason I always update.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I wouldn't say our search is slow. I'm just continually cracking the whip to get everything on the site faster. Would have been nice if upgrading would improve speed, but security and server efficiency are, of course, also important. The only problem with the search recently is the one discussed here https://xenforo.com/community/threads/this-member-does-not-have-any-recent-content.62862/ which is Daniel's Conversation Essentials allowing conversation searches. I'll have to find an alternative way of searching conversations, which is absolutely essential, by the way, to protect our community from scammers and spammers.

Top Bottom