Is buying the copyright removal worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolguy67

So there's a way to remove the XF copyright without buying it - has something to do with extra.less
Less:
/* Copyright */
.p-footer-copyright{font-size: 0px;}
.custom-copyright{font-size: 11px;}
/* End */

So is it worth buying copyright removal when you can do this?

Solution
So , just for a laugh, you could put Community platform by vBulletin?

OK, I'll get me coat...
Jokes aside, there seems to have been some confusion over what is permitted with Branding Removal, so here it is in plain English.

1. All XenForo-generated pages include copyright and attribution text at the bottom of the page, which reads Forum software (or) Community platform by XenForo® © 2010-20(year) XenForo Ltd. and links back to xenforo.com. We call this the copyright notice.

2. Without Branding Removal, you must retain, display and not modify in any way the copyright notice at the bottom of all public facing pages.

3. Branding Removal grants you the right to remove or hide the...
So there's a way to remove the XF copyright without buying it - has something to do with extra.less
Less:
/* Copyright */
.p-footer-copyright{font-size: 0px;}
.custom-copyright{font-size: 11px;}
/* End */

So is it worth buying copyright removal when you can do this?

You purchase the right to remove it, not the technical ability to. It's trivial to hide it but against the terms.

simon cowell facepalm GIF

I really don't see the need to remove a copyright from my forum or main site. The people who worked on these features deserve recognition.
I agree w/ your opinion despite that some of my friends don't want to let their business competitors know what community platform he is using. People's needs vary.

Thanks for your response. Another question:
I noticed that you changed the "Forum software by XenForo" to "Community platform by XenForo" since XF 2.2.5 update.

I had a secondary license which is only able to use XF 2.2.4 and older.
Is it allowed to change its the "Forum software by XenForo" to "Community platform by XenForo" so the actual old XF version won't get compromised to visitors?

I agree w/ your opinion despite that some of my friends don't want to let their business competitors know what community platform he is using. People's needs vary.

you do know that there are MANY other ways to find out what platform someone is using right......
No copyright notice does not "hide" what platform you are using.

And, as everyone has said. You cannot touch the copyright notice in any way. Or you can pay extra and the problem is solved.

you do know that there are MANY other ways to find out what platform someone is using right......
No copyright notice does not "hide" what platform you are using.

And, as everyone has said. You cannot touch the copyright notice in any way. Or you can pay extra and the problem is solved.
Your statement works in English-speaking markets. XenForo at this moment is extremely non-famous in Mainland China.

vB3 and IPB were famous before but these share (even though these are mostly nulled installations) were gradually taken by Comsenz Discuz (which is technologically 10 years behind XF2) during 2007-2013. Similarly, PHPBB.

Discuz is free for non-commercial users (probably free for commercial users now since recent years) and has lots of localized features which are generally not available by default in vB3-4, XF1, all versions of IPB, vB5, MyBB, SMF, etc. Most end-users in this market don't care about develop-ability but just want a ready-to-use solution. Plus, considering the average income difference between Mainland China and Anglo-Saxon countries, the price of XenForo license (even if not having the branding removal) is generally regarded as "totally not acceptable" even if some funny commercial Discuz users prefer to pay hundreds of USDs to find someone to customize Discuz for modern features (like legally-required SMS verification procedures, etc...., and a standalone cellphone view - yeah, they generally don't give it a phuque to what the responsive design is.)

That's why buying branding removal works in this market. Even though there are CMS detection services online, these services are all in English... and the language barrier can ban 95% of visitors in PRC.

Last edited:
Your statement works in English-speaking markets. XenForo at this moment is extremely non-famous in Mainland China.

vB3 and IPB were famous before but these share (even though these are mostly nulled installations) were gradually taken by Comsenz Discuz (which is technologically 10 years behind XF2) during 2007-2013. Similarly, PHPBB.

Discuz is free for non-commercial users (probably free for commercial users now since recent years) and has lots of localized features which are generally not available by default in vB3-4, XF1, all versions of IPB, vB5, MyBB, SMF, etc. Most end-users in this market don't care about develop-ability but just want a ready-to-use solution. Plus, considering the average income difference between Mainland China and Anglo-Saxon countries, the price of XenForo license (even if not having the branding removal) is generally regarded as "totally not acceptable" even if some funny commercial Discuz users prefer to pay hundreds of USDs to find someone to customize Discuz for modern features (like legally-required SMS verification procedures, etc...., and a standalone cellphone view - yeah, they generally don't give it a phuque to what the responsive design is.)

That's why buying branding removal works in this market. Even though there are CMS detection services online, these services are all in English... and the language barrier can ban 95% of visitors in PRC.

You can purchase the branding removal option of course but just know, someone that really wants to find out what software you're running will find out.

You don't need any "detection services" to find out which software powers a website (if that is somewhat common) - usually taking a look at the HTML, JS and CSS source does answer this within a few seconds.

You don't need any "detection services" to find out which software powers a website (if that is somewhat common) - usually taking a look at the HTML, JS and CSS source does answer this within a few seconds.
That's what you people know and what I know, not what the business opponents of my friends know.
Too many barriers... information technological knowledge barrrier, language barrier, etc.
The internet users in PRC now consist of mostly cellphone users (being satisfied by only WeChat, TikTok, etc.), and they don't care too much about what we think people may care. When registering an account at a website, they think that using SMS registration is easier than using emails... hence really less of them are actively using emails (unless they have to).

Last edited:
Honestly I dont understand why people would want to remove the copyrights. If I like the software, I am a proud user so I dont mind it on the footer. If I dont like the software, I wont use it anyway. So the only advice I can give is, use another software if you want to remove the copyrights, why use something you find its copyrights text uncomfortable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom