• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

IRC Chat Integration (qwebirc)

Jesepi

I would be very happy if someone would be able to integrate the qwebirc client with XenForo. For those capable of running it, this seems to be good method for people using a web browser to access IRC.

http://qwebirc.org/

It has a clean interface, and resource usage seems low for a webchat app since it uses its own "mini" server to feed the IRC connections instead of your default web server. Being able to limit access to it using XenForo usergroups, and having it included in the navigation tabs would be useful.

A working example can be seen here:

http://webchat.freenode.net/

The bad about it: I'm not sure how many people's hosts let them run python apps in the background, which this requires to facilitate the connection to IRC.

I've actually been looking into Qwebirc... and I can tell you, what you're trying to do simply wont work Jesepi. Qwebirc would have to be set up by the irc server you are trying to connect to... Qwebirc isn't simply a front-end client, it's also a back-end data router. If the server you're trying to connect to has Qwebirc already installed, you can simply embed their Qwebirc page and call it a day... However, if they don't have Qwebirc, then you are out of luck...

But you're thinking, "can I install Qwebirc on my website and then connect it to the IRC server?". If you own the IRC server, then yes. Otherwise, yes, but with disastrous results. What happens with Qwebirc is that anyone who connects to it, is routed from the client. So if you have Qwebirc on your server, all users connecting through it will have the same IP address... your server. Most IRC networks will automatically trigger a G-line for too many connections from a single IP address.

I've actually been looking into Qwebirc... and I can tell you, what you're trying to do simply wont work Jesepi. Qwebirc would have to be set up by the irc server you are trying to connect to... Qwebirc isn't simply a front-end client, it's also a back-end data router. If the server you're trying to connect to has Qwebirc already installed, you can simply embed their Qwebirc page and call it a day... However, if they don't have Qwebirc, then you are out of luck...

But you're thinking, "can I install Qwebirc on my website and then connect it to the IRC server?". If you own the IRC server, then yes. Otherwise, yes, but with disastrous results. What happens with Qwebirc is that anyone who connects to it, is routed from the client. So if you have Qwebirc on your server, all users connecting through it will have the same IP address... your server. Most IRC networks will automatically trigger a G-line for too many connections from a single IP address.

It's the same with mibbit and lightirc. With mibbit, server owner has to set a password and add a cgiirc block to the ircd configration, then e-mail the password and domain to mibbit for them to enable it for you, otherwise all ips would be same. With lightirc, there is similar problem, the server owner has to install adobe flash policy server on the irc server, otherwise it won't work at all.

I own an irc server and had to do these steps in order to use mibbit or lightirc.

As far as I know, only web irc clients which don't require server side installation/editing are java based ones.

http://www.jwirc.com/

What happens with Qwebirc is that anyone who connects to it, is routed from the client. So if you have Qwebirc on your server, all users connecting through it will have the same IP address... your server. Most IRC networks will automatically trigger a G-line for too many connections from a single IP address.

I thought there was an option in Qwebirc to forward the IP of the user instead of the connecting website? I could have read the documentation wrong, but I thought that was in there.

Exactly. Can be also read here http://qwebirc.org/features
  • Can pass your hostname through directly to the IRC server.
Thats what it makes so interesting. Also all IRC Server do access qwerbic. Means there is no restriction

These are the examples given in the config file, if that would clarify anything on the IP address issue:

Code:
# OPTION: WEBIRC_MODE
#        This option controls how the IP/hostname of the connecting
#        browser will be sent to IRC.
#
#        Possible values include:
#        - the string "webirc", i.e. WEBIRC_MODE = "webirc"
#          Use WEBIRC type blocks, with a server configuration of
#          the following style:
#
#          cgiirc {
#            type webirc;