IPS 4 Preview is now available

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks much better than the version before. It's less 'heavier'. Also good to see the strong but healthy competition between the forum solutions, it's clear they check XF out and learn from it.

Well, they've updated the login screen to remove a button I think. I can't remember what it said, but it's whatever sent me into a login loop before now. Probably just a redundant login button. Now it's just the following

image.webp

The cancel registration is interesting, it's always been there, but I'm wondering if it's a good idea or not. Do you really want frustrated customers that want to see the product to just cancel and bail out before they can log in, or would you rather just have them wait send out a 'We're now open for business, come check it out' email once I can actually log in? Why not just close registration until it's open to the public instead of harvesting their emails?

Still getting the shaky close (occasionally) on the close of the overlay. although it took me 3 click of the 'Change email' button to actually get the following kinda poorly layed out window to actually provide any content. It was a blank box the first 2 time I clicked it. A bit odd that the save button is so far to the right. Looks very strange on a large monitor.

upload_2014-7-1_20-52-17.webp

I feel rather pedantic analysing just the small bit's I've seen so far, but the devil is in the detail. I've not even logged into a fully functioning forum and there are still odd bugs.

I can't wait to hear decent feedback and analysis from existing IPB users and XF users who are testing the full version out. I sincerely hope this thread doesn't get closed due to any of the reason Mike or Brogan stated above. This could become a very valuable thread in terms of feedback from the community that may (or may not) influence the future iterations of XF.

I say so far it looks good, but it still in Beta so we have to see and wait for the final product to see how things work and such. They still have many blogs to post about the details of things. I'm not to big on the look off that bad but that what skinners are for.

Like I said on another thread, whats the point of having manual registration approval to view a demo? It makes 0 sense. There should be a demo account available.

You say that as if they distanced themselves from it in the first place!
They cut down their padding and margin by A LOT, but now it's all over again.

Not even going to get started on their adoption of such depthless flat design, and how low contrast many areas are.

You are really annoying to criticize this new version of IP.Board... Guys, this is a preview! Many things are being fixed, because the privileged members have access to the preview and they report all bugs in the Bug Tracker:

Screenshot_1.webp

Then a little respect please, IP.Board launched a long time ago and XenForo not long ago. XenForo will be slower over the years, because there is more data than now.

IP.Board 4.0 has been completely restructured and there are things that have not yet been corrected. Version 3.4.6 is the most stable version of IP.Board and now IP.Board 4.0 approach and it is never perfect at the beginning. This is why it takes the help of members to correct bugs.

Why IP.Board 4.0 is slow? Read what is marked on the picture below:

2014-06-29_1412.webp

Last edited:
You are really annoying to criticize this new version of IP.Board... Guys, this is a preview! Many things are being fixed, because the privileged members have access to the preview and they report all bugs in the Bug Tracker:

View attachment 77015

Then a little respect please, IP.Board launched a long time ago and XenForo not long ago. XenForo will be slower over the years, because there is more data than now.

IP.Board 4.0 has been completely restructured and there are things that have not yet been corrected. Version 3.4.6 is the most stable version of IP.Board and now IP.Board 4.0 approach and it is never perfect at the beginning. This is why it takes the help of members to correct bugs.

Why IP.Board 4.0 is slow? Read what is marked on the picture below:

View attachment 77016

Isn't the point of giving people access is to criticize it? Or should we say it's perfect :D

Liking the icon they are using it's fitting kind of but i would have went for something else. I would have personally used a clock or some timer device icon because I feel it could convey (the Padlock) "hey- your never getting approved muhahahaha" type of thing with mr approval rubbing his hands. Nonetheless, crispy icon. verdict: niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

ipb4-icon.webp

Edit: take 10.

Criticize on valid facts and not for nothing. This is even still a Beta...

It does not matter at all if it is a beta, or whatever stage. People have different taste and likes. You like it someone else does not. You do not see them jumping on your case because you like it and they don''t.

On the subject, I don''t like Ipb 4 much as well from what I have seen till now.

It does not matter at all if it is a beta, or whatever stage. People have different taste and likes. You like it someone else does not. You do not see them jumping on your case because you like it and they don''t.

On the subject, I don''t like Ipb 4 much as well from what I have seen till now.
I am a person who likes IP.Board and who also likes XenForo. It's two different styles. I could very well also create a topic about XenForo and give my thought on this forum software. You judge too quickly... Is that a Beta and a lot of bugs are being fixed.

You're on XenForo for good reason: you like this forum software.

Liking the icon they are using it's fitting kind of but i would have went for something else. I would have personally used a clock or some timer device icon because I feel it could convey (the Padlock) "hey- your never getting approved muhahahaha" type of thing with mr approval rubbing his hands. Nonetheless, crispy icon. verdict: niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

View attachment 77024

Edit: take 10.
All icons for IP.Board 4.0 are based on Font Awesome.

All icons for IP.Board 4.0 are based on Font Awesome.

That seems to be the trending thing nowadays. Good move.

What do you think is the hold up on accounts being approved? I'm looking at the padlock and it's really saying to me "Shelley - We are unlikely to validate your account" and it has been 2 days. It's probably me with that damn padlock, the timer alternative would have eased my mind a little better conveying "we'll get to you soon, don't worry".

Thanks for the info though, I'll need to read up a little about this Font Awesome.

That seems to be the trending thing nowadays. Good move.

What do you think is the hold up on accounts being approved? I'm looking at the padlock and it's really saying to me "Shelley - We are unlikely to validate your account" and it has been 2 days. It's probably me with that damn padlock, the timer alternative would have eased my mind a little better conveying "we'll get to you soon, don't worry".

Thanks for the info though, I'll need to read up a little about this Font Awesome.
Shelley I am a licensed user......and it took me 36 hours or so :P
I seriously doubt IPS is trying to take the piss or anything(Lord I've been hanging around my UK friends...they have me using their slang now lmao). I'd hope they'd have much better things to do :)

I am a person who likes IP.Board and who also likes XenForo. It's two different styles. I could very well also create a topic about XenForo and give my thought on this forum software. You judge too quickly... Is that a Beta and a lot of bugs are being fixed.

You're on XenForo for good reason: you like this forum software.
thanks for a sensible reply :)
Isn't the point of giving people access is to criticize it? Or should we say it's perfect :D

Nobody said anything about it being PERFECT....it is not. It is great(Imo) already and I can't wait to see a bugfixed version of the software.

That being said....Comparing a Beta Version(Or is it alpha) performance to a GOLD version of Xenforo is highly flawed and there is no excuse for that, other than to attempt to bash the software.

Discussing IPS's inspiration of various features of the software.....again nothing positive or even constructive about that really other than to bash the software lmao.

I am here to see valid and Constructive criticisms and complaints because it is great to see what competitors and their users think of the software....but mostly I've read more 'aggressive' posting and complaints about how long it takes for ppl to get approved

Right now, the CKEditor takes a while to load (3-4 sec.) which is annoying. The software also misses a good notification system. The search is separated in different apps so you don't get to see a combined search. The profile about me section and the status updates are on the same page.

Other then that, the software is looking good.

Shelley I am a licensed user......and it took me 36 hours or so :p
I seriously doubt IPS is trying to take the piss or anything(Lord I've been hanging around my UK friends...they have me using their slang now lmao). I'd hope they'd have much better things to do :)

thanks for a sensible reply :)

Nobody said anything about it being PERFECT....it is not. It is great(Imo) already and I can't wait to see a bugfixed version of the software.

That being said....Comparing a Beta Version(Or is it alpha) performance to a GOLD version of Xenforo is highly flawed and there is no excuse for that, other than to attempt to bash the software.

Discussing IPS's inspiration of various features of the software.....again nothing positive or even constructive about that really other than to bash the software lmao.

I am here to see valid and Constructive criticisms and complaints because it is great to see what competitors and their users think of the software....but mostly I've read more 'aggressive' posting and complaints about how long it takes for ppl to get approved

I'm a licensed customer also. (y) I'm just wondering how many unlicensed people they've approved when i think licensed customers should atleast automatically be able to access. Since you mentioned 36 hours that would make a little sense if it's taking this length of time to approve people.

Still, approval page is looking good though I haven't fully explored it yet and still finding new stuff every time i visit it.

ipb4.webp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom