IPB 4.4.x forum permissions are not imported and some usergroups without permission.

Black Tiger

Affected version
I've imported a 4.4.10 forum but no forum permissions were copied, all node permissions are set to "inherit".
Also I notices with like Administrative and moderators some global permissions were less then with the default registered user.
For example view and view node (and others) were set to no on the general tab.

Related thread:

This is mostly as expected now, though I will leave the report open as it is worth (re)investigating the forum permission part of this.

I've imported a 4.4.10 forum but no forum permissions were copied, all node permissions are set to "inherit".
These are simply not something covered by the import. I believe we may have investigated this and found that generally speaking, mapping permissions onto the XF concept/approach was not viable (easier to set them up again). I thought we had created a system to allow you to at least set certain forums as private, though I suspect I'm getting confused with another importer.

Also I notices with like Administrative and moderators some global permissions were less then with the default registered user.
For example view and view node (and others) were set to no on the general tab.
For the standard groups (ones that map to the default groups in XF), importers do not change the permissions of those groups. They simply mark the mapping. So what you're seeing are the default permissions there and thus relate to XF's permission concepts:

With our recommendated approach, the admin/mod groups would only define extra permissions that they have, thus they wouldn't have viewing permissions (as the registered group would already have that).

These are simply not something covered by the import.
All nodes were set to inherited for the IPB import. However, for the SMF import, some forum permissions were set. So that confused me.

With our recommendated approach, the admin/mod groups would only define extra permissions that they have, thus they wouldn't have viewing permissions (as the registered group would already have that).
Ah oke, now I understand. You rely on the registered usergroup as basic and use for the rest the secondary usergroups. I'm not used to that yet, until now on all my forums I only used the main usergroup and no secondary groups. This explains however why my admins and mods had no view rights because they have admin and moderator as primary usergroup.
On import, they did not get into the registered group, only admin and moderator so that explains it.

Top Bottom