IPB 4.3 to Xenforo conversion

chess.clinic

Hi. I'm a long time user of IPB but I'm burned out with their greedy renewal systems + expensive official addons scheme.
I checked the FAQ, conversions thread, and I'm not sure I understand what those images mean. Like they say: "this step cannot be run yet" for import threads and topics (and many others), yet there's one bar at the end which says "Complete import". Does that mean that a complete import can be done but not each one of those greyed out items separately? Also, is ipb 4.3 to Xenforo conversion in the works?

Welcome :)

I can understand how that screenshot might be unclear.

There are certain steps that must be run before starting others.

For example, there’s no point in importing users until the user groups have been imported because otherwise you end up with users who may not be in the correct group.

Obviously you can’t import posts before importing threads.

That kind of thing.

Generally you would want to run through the whole thing, but it should be possible to skip some steps if you want to.

We do have an importer for IPS Forums which covers 4.0-4.2 and we have that available right now in the latest version of XF 1.5. You can import into that and then upgrade to XF 2.1 fairly effortlessly afterwards.

We currently have no reason to believe it doesn’t work on 4.3 but we should be able to iron out any issues if you face any.

We’re currently in the process of rewriting the importer for XF 2.1.

That might be one thing to note, then. The clubs forums will likely just be imported as normal forums into the normal forum list. We do attempt to configure the permissions for these to mirror how they are set up for each club though some adjustment may be required. Alternatively you could move the threads to other forums, or delete or hide the forums entirely if they have little use.

Just something to bear in mind, that's all :)

Top Bottom