IPB 3.2 - Early Beta Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
heh didn't you hear? Sense is not common anymore.

Yes I believe Pres. Bush Snr outlawed it.

R1Lover, I don't believe there's a whole bunch of hate going on toward IPB, more an ironic cynical wondering about the new features they are including that look remarkably like another product, yet which are being held up as revolutionary in IPB circles ;)

How's the CSS sheets looking? I believe someone has stripped them right back after a few years of "bloat". About time as well as a number of the designers had been asking for that. Winning hearts and minds right there.

Could 3.2 be a vB killer?

and for all the haters out there... let's focus our hatred on vb will ya? no need to knock IPB nor XF as they are both great forums and ran by great people. If you have to hate, point it to vb since most of us were screwed over by them at some point in time. :)

Who's hating... I have said numberous times that 3.2 is a good looking version and that they will do well with it, I even called it the "vB Killer" .... even if I do think that some of the features are wayyyyyyyy too close in design or functionality to XF, and I would have liked to see some genuine originality in both the design and the new functionality.

I think IPB is great software, it is no longer my #1 choice, but I have no problem with it, or anyone who uses it.

As with most things, your notifications are just what you ask for... there are many options when and if to recieve any or all of them... it's all a choice!

LOL and there in lies the problem, like many IPB features it is overly technical, geekoid and counter intuitive .... it doesn't work for me sorry, I don't like it, never did. The XF one is so very well done in it's design and functionality, I as a user don't have to fart arse around in my CP to adjust the board's overly zealous notification system, it just intuitively knows that I only want notifications for "these" things.. and that once I look at the notifications, I don't need to click to see them all to "clear the list... The IPB one always annoyed the bejebus out of me. Two clicks in stead of one.. things like that are endemic throughout IPB, it might sound stupid to some one who loves it, but I don't like that aspect of IPB... they have always made things harder/more hidden/more complicated than they should.

and for all the haters out there... let's focus our hatred on vb will ya? no need to knock IPB nor XF as they are both great forums and ran by great people. If you have to hate, point it to vb since most of us were screwed over by them at some point in time. :)

I hate nothing and no one.
Ima lover, not a hater. :)

Yes I believe Pres. Bush Snr outlawed it.

R1Lover, I don't believe there's a whole bunch of hate going on toward IPB, more an ironic cynical wondering about the new features they are including that look remarkably like another product, yet which are being held up as revolutionary in IPB circles ;)

How's the CSS sheets looking? I believe someone has stripped them right back after a few years of "bloat". About time as well as a number of the designers had been asking for that. Winning hearts and minds right there.

Could 3.2 be a vB killer?

There has been some major changes to the CSS, but until all apps are brought up to speed it will still contain some older code. Once all the apps have been properly updated then you should see it thinned down even more.

Who's hating... I have said numberous times that 3.2 is a good looking version and that they will do well with it, I even called it the "vB Killer" .... even if I do think that some of the features are wayyyyyyyy too close in design or functionality to XF, and I would have liked to see some genuine originality in both the design and the new functionality.

I think IPB is great software, it is no longer my #1 choice, but I have no problem with it, or anyone who uses it.

LOL and there in lies the problem, like many IPB features it is overly technical, geekoid and counter intuitive .... it doesn't work for me sorry, I don't like it, never did. The XF one is so very well done in it's design and functionality, I as a user don't have to fart arse around in my CP to adjust the board's overly zealous notification system, it just intuitively knows that I only want notifications for "these" things.. and that once I look at the notifications, I don't need to click to see them all to "clear the list... The IPB one always annoyed the bejebus out of me. Two clicks in stead of one.. things like that are endemic throughout IPB, it might sound stupid to some one who loves it, but I don't like that aspect of IPB... they have always made things harder/more hidden/more complicated than they should.

All opinion and why we have choices... I myself find it pretty easy and simple on 3.2 to both setup the defaults for members as well as choosing your own options as a user.

I have to admit that is one of the key areas I absolutely loathe about IPB, And you've hit the nail right on the head when you mention the cp. Example: I want to change my presence to invisible or whatever, I have to logout to change that where on xenforo it's open tab tick checkbox done. I'm not knocking IPB, I'm sure when they read comments like this they'll do something (I already mentioned it on twitter many months ago) it's just one example of many that to accomplish a simple task you start at A >> b >> C then finally D when A done is always the better, most intuitive solution.

For gods sake folks who read between the lines try reading this post for a change. Not mentioning any names.
cat.webp

Reactions: Kim
Also, to those reading this, keep in mind my comments were based on the whole thread, maybe they were taken wrongly with only the last few pages here..... but I started at the beginning of this thread which was started a couple weeks ago. lol

I have to admit that is one of the key areas I absolutely loathe about IPB, And you've hit the nail right on the head when you mention the cp. Example: I want to change my presence to invisible or whatever, I have to logout to change that where on xenforo it's open tab tick checkbox done. I'm not knocking IPB, I'm sure when they read comments like this they'll do something (I already mentioned it on twitter many months ago) it's just one example of many that to accomplish a simple task you start at A >> b >> C then finally D when A done is always the better, most intuitive solution.

For gods sake folks who read between the lines try reading this post for a change. Not mentioning any names. View attachment 15002

Yes precisely... we shouldn't say too much more Shelley, as for sure suddenly 3.2 will also feature more intuitive User functionality :p lol

Nobody said xenforo was first to implement a like system. Now you mentioned it they were the first to implement it on a forum product as standard.

edit: beat me to it peggy. I dunno, people nowadays read what they want to read and should out fanboys because of the growing trend.
Maybe going back and re-reading many of the comments in this thread. One user specifically mentioned the copying of the "like" function from xf. I was only pointing out that those uninformed keep saying xf was the first to make it => hence fanboy bc they aren't educated enough. Hence the reason I've brought it up. I believe xf is a great product but feel there are too many people that are "repping" it and have no clue about forum software in general.

Maybe going back and re-reading many of the comments in this thread. One user specifically mentioned the copying of the "like" function from xf. I was only pointing out that those uninformed keep saying xf was the first to make it => hence fanboy bc they aren't educated enough. Hence the reason I've brought it up. I believe xf is a great product but feel there are too many people that are "repping" it and have no clue about forum software in general.
:rolleyes:

XF was the first to make it... ON FORUMS. The crappy rep systems on IPB or vB are not the same, were never the same, and do not have the same intuitive respect for the "post" as opposed to the POSTER.. a huge and yet ironically rather subtle difference that might have escaped your notice.

I do believe it is you that needs the education here. Most of the commenters in here are well familiar with XF and very well familiar with the opposition forum scripts.

There have been "like" mods for forum software for quite some time now thanks to the facebook boom. xF isn't the first forum script I've seen it on but it is the first forum script I've seen that has had it as a part of the core.

XF was the first to make it... ON FORUMS. The crappy rep systems on IPB or vB are not the same, were never the same, and do not have the same intuitive respect for the "post" as opposed to the POSTER.. a huge and yet ironically rather subtle difference that might have escaped your notice.

I do believe it is you that needs the education here. Most of the commenters in here are well familiar with XF and very well familiar with the opposition forum scripts.

When people don't know what they are talking about they tend to clutch at straws. Before long you can start weeding out the inconsistencies in their postings.

I do believe however bar numbnuts, the ipb people coming over here are wanting people to knock ipb 3.2 when the fact of the matter the xenforo customers like what the ipb devs have done.

There have been "like" mods for forum software for quite some time now thanks to the facebook boom. xF isn't the first forum script I've seen it on but it is the first forum script I've seen that has had it as a part of the core.

None of those were quite as intuitive and deeply integrated as XenForo has made theirs. That plays a large part in how people use it.

When people don't know what they are talking about they tend to clutch at straws. Before long you can start weeding out the inconsistencies in their postings.

I do believe however bar numbnuts, the ipb people coming over here are wanting people to knock ipb 3.2 when the fact of the matter the xenforo customers like what the ipb devs have done.

How couldn't we when things have started to become so familiar :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom