IPB 3.2 beta on trial

tbh looking at purely the additions to 3.2, with the exception of the asset manager the features that have been added look to be trying to compete with xenforo as apposed to the other way around. Speed and above all stability are what I moved from IPB for even knowing that 3.2 was about to be released.

IMHO

IPB - A community product built to have everything in one place.
Xenforo - A community product built to encourage community additions.

Would much rather have a small coding team with a big community of developers, than a big coding team that has a small community of developers. As IMO one will catch the other very very quickly in comparison to what people expect.

So in answer to your question, I think IPB has been coding to compete with xenforo. Regardless of our xenforos current size in the grand scheme of things.

Would much rather have a small coding team with a big community of developers, than a big coding team that has a small community of developers. As IMO one will catch the other very very quickly in comparison to what people expect.
I applaud your optimism but one issue with a "big community of developers" is that these days it is far more likely to be a collection of individual developers rather than a community. That's primarily because people more so than ever realize the value of their own time and are no longer willing to give it away for free, nor should they. Ultimately this results in a situation where you have a commercial product which then requires countless commercial add-ons, which drives the total cost of ownership up and up.

Take just one example of many, in Xenforo users can embed a video into their signature. WTF.
There is currently no add-on to fix that, nor do I as Xenforo customer feel that I should have to pay a 3rd party developer to fix what should have been a no-brainer core functionality in the first place.

I applaud your optimism but one issue with a "big community of developers" is that these days it is far more likely to be a collection of individual developers rather than a community. That's primarily because people more so than ever realize the value of their own time and are no longer willing to give it away for free, nor should they. Ultimately this results in a situation where you have a commercial product which then requires countless commercial add-ons, which drives the total cost of ownership up and up.

Would agree that there are more people who charge for their addons in general, however this doesnt mean to say that community development in general is dead. I personally have started developing for xenforo and plan on releasing all addons that I develop free of charge to the community, for no other reason than I enjoy doing so. I agree that people realise the value of their time. However when it is a hobby people also realise the value of taking time out to relax, and this is something I personally enjoy and do in my free time to relax. I would love to think that I am a completly unique person, however I do not think this is the case. Community development with regards to forum software IMO did not desert the development of addons, they were deserted by the creator of the software itself which meant they no longer felt a personal sense of 'fun' from doing the addons.

Take just one example of many, in Xenforo users can embed a video into their signature. WTF.
There is currently no add-on to fix that, nor do I as Xenforo customer feel that I should have to pay a 3rd party developer to fix what should have been a no-brainer core functionality in the first place.

I will hold my hand up high in the sky and say I will personally be very unhappy with xenforo 3.2 or 4.0 if this is still the case when they release them ;)

I hope someone comes up with a solution to this.

Another thing I notice due to the way xenforo keeps changing the theme format around making it hard for skin and mod developers to release stuff by the time someone releases an update to a plugin there is already a new xenforo update that breaks it. I dont get why there is skin changes going from 1.0.1 to 1.0.2. Some of the plugins i wanted for my forum the developers have abandoned working on them

Another thing I notice due to the way xenforo keeps changing the theme format around making it hard for skin and mod developers to release stuff by the time someone releases an update to a plugin there is already a new xenforo update that breaks it. I dont get why there is skin changes going from 1.0.1 to 1.0.2. Some of the plugins i wanted for my forum the developers have abandoned working on them

Can you mention a few of those plugins?

Top Bottom