XF 1.1 IPB 1.3 to XenForo

Gambleru

We've got an old and large community, based on free Invision Power Board 1.2 (sic! not 1.3). 170k posts, 3,5k users.
Currently trying to find a working way to convert it to XF.
Any thoughts or experiences with this would be greatly appreciated.
No IPB license present for a convertion to IPB 3.x (not sure it'd work properly anyway), so we would prefer a different (and free) approach.
Thanx in advance for any help or advice!

I think this would have to be a custom converstion - there's no converter for IP.Board 1.2 that I'm aware of (that's quite an old version! ;) )

As such, I wouldn't expect it to be free either - unless you can find a willing volunteer in the XF community who wants to take on the challenge? (y)

Good luck.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Hi Jake, thanks for your inputs. We resorted to make our own custom migration script.
Everything's almost fine now. I need your input for one issue with Xenforo we can't figure out ourselves.

When an imported thread is opened, first page goes just fine, but second and subsequent ones show no messages at all.
Once you post a new message in that thread, messages on the last page appear properly, however all thread pages between first and last one are still empty.

Rebuilding thread cache does not solve this.

Could you give us a hint where in XenForo database schema we should look?

Rebuilding thread cache does not solve this.

That would have been my suggestion. I assume you also checked the box when doing the rebuild?

Screen shot 2013-01-22 at 3.20.09 PM.webp

If you developed your own importer then it's possible you didn't write the data correctly. I would suggest using the import model like the built-in importers do (XenForo_Model_Import). The thread / post data structures are fairly simple though.

If you made a custom script to import such an older version.... It would be nice if you shared it with The XenForo Community. I know a few other sites using such older and out of date software who could be easily convinced to switch over :)

If you made a custom script to import such an older version.... It would be nice if you shared it with The XenForo Community. I know a few other sites using such older and out of date software who could be easily convinced to switch over :)
To expand on this, it'd also be great if this version worked with IPB 1.3.x as well. :)

@zeehond first of all, thank you very much for your work.
We are currently upgrading our forum, and your script might serve a great help.

I tried running it, and I got this error:
Code:
[root@server ~]# python shell.py
  File "shell.py", line 361
    unescape(t['title'] + (" (" + t['description'] + ")" if len(t['description']) >0 else '')),
                                                          ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

I tried playing around with the code, changed the line (361) from
Code:
unescape(t['title'] + (" (" + t['description'] + ")" if len(t['description']) >0 else '')),
to
Code:
unescape(t['title']),
so line 361 turned fine, but it raised another syntax error, from another line
Code:
[root@server ~]# python migrate_all.py
  File "migrate_all.py", line 367
    1 if t['pinned'] else 0,
      ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
I am no expert at Python, but the syntax seems fine (in both lines).

Can you, or anybody else try and help me out here? Am I doing something wrong here?
Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Thank you friendsThe original forum version I have is IPB1.2 ..But because I do not know the language in which they wrote the scriptI asked my programmer to do a system that converts the forum in PHPFew days he has to finish the job, if I could for him will it hereThanks again everyone and sorry for the interruption

Top Bottom