1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.1 IPB 1.3 to XenForo

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by Gambleru, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Gambleru

Gambleru Member

We've got an old and large community, based on free Invision Power Board 1.2 (sic! not 1.3). 170k posts, 3,5k users.
    Currently trying to find a working way to convert it to XF.
    Any thoughts or experiences with this would be greatly appreciated.
    No IPB license present for a convertion to IPB 3.x (not sure it'd work properly anyway), so we would prefer a different (and free) approach.
    Thanx in advance for any help or advice!

HenrikHansen likes this.
  2. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

I think this would have to be a custom converstion - there's no converter for IP.Board 1.2 that I'm aware of (that's quite an old version! ;) )

As such, I wouldn't expect it to be free either - unless you can find a willing volunteer in the XF community who wants to take on the challenge? (y)

Good luck.

Cheers,
    Shaun :D

3. Gambleru

Gambleru Member

Thanx, Shaun, I'm still hoping for a solution, as I cannot be the only one with such a problem.
    Any other experiences, guys and gals?

4. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I think I replied to your ticket. A double import via another supported system may be possible if you give me your database.

5. zeehond

zeehond Member

Hi Jake, thanks for your inputs. We resorted to make our own custom migration script.
    Everything's almost fine now. I need your input for one issue with Xenforo we can't figure out ourselves.

When an imported thread is opened, first page goes just fine, but second and subsequent ones show no messages at all.
    Once you post a new message in that thread, messages on the last page appear properly, however all thread pages between first and last one are still empty.

Rebuilding thread cache does not solve this.

Could you give us a hint where in XenForo database schema we should look?

Gambleru likes this.
  6. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

That would have been my suggestion. I assume you also checked the box when doing the rebuild?

Screen shot 2013-01-22 at 3.20.09 PM.png

If you developed your own importer then it's possible you didn't write the data correctly. I would suggest using the import model like the built-in importers do (XenForo_Model_Import). The thread / post data structures are fairly simple though.

7. zeehond

zeehond Member

Hey Jake, you are right as always... that checkbox was all that's needed to solve this.
    Also thank you for your suggestion of using import model.

8. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

If you made a custom script to import such an older version.... It would be nice if you shared it with The XenForo Community. I know a few other sites using such older and out of date software who could be easily convinced to switch over :)

DarkGizmo likes this.
  9. DarkGizmo

DarkGizmo Active Member

To expand on this, it'd also be great if this version worked with IPB 1.3.x as well. :)

10. zeehond

zeehond Member

We will indeed publish the script here once it's 100% done.

We do not plan to work on it anymore, but I guess it could be easily adapted for IPB 1.3 as well.

DarkGizmo and Adam Howard like this.
  11. DarkGizmo

DarkGizmo Active Member

Possibly. IPB 12 -> 1.3 didn't show too many changes so I'm sure someone can easily get it working with 1.3.x

Adam Howard likes this.
  12. zeehond

zeehond Member

As promised, here's the fruit of our humble efforts. Python script for database migration + shell script to fetch and convert all avatars.
    Hope it will be useful for someone.

Attached Files:

13. avvvi

avvvi Member

@zeehond first of all, thank you very much for your work.
    We are currently upgrading our forum, and your script might serve a great help.

I tried running it, and I got this error:
    Code:
    [root@server ~]# python shell.py
      File "shell.py", line 361
        unescape(t['title'] + (" (" + t['description'] + ")" if len(t['description']) >0 else '')),
                                                              ^
    SyntaxError: invalid syntax
    I tried playing around with the code, changed the line (361) from
    Code:
    unescape(t['title'] + (" (" + t['description'] + ")" if len(t['description']) >0 else '')),
    to
    Code:
    unescape(t['title']),
    so line 361 turned fine, but it raised another syntax error, from another line
    Code:
    [root@server ~]# python migrate_all.py
      File "migrate_all.py", line 367
        1 if t['pinned'] else 0,
          ^
    SyntaxError: invalid syntax
    I am no expert at Python, but the syntax seems fine (in both lines).

Can you, or anybody else try and help me out here? Am I doing something wrong here?
    Thank you very much.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  14. Admirus

Admirus Member

And unless you can update to 1.3 without upgrading to version 3 of IBP?

15. skizzerz

skizzerz Member

@avvvi What version of python did you use to run it? If you're using Python 3.x, try running it on 2.7 instead

16. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

I have a copy of IPB 3, so it would be fairly easy for me to update you to the current version, then port you over to XenForo

17. avvvi

avvvi Member

Thank you friendsThe original forum version I have is IPB1.2 ..But because I do not know the language in which they wrote the scriptI asked my programmer to do a system that converts the forum in PHPFew days he has to finish the job, if I could for him will it hereThanks again everyone and sorry for the interruption

Adam Howard likes this.
  18. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Active Member

Will the script work with IPB 2.1?

19. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

No. it only supports the versions listed.

20. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Active Member

IPB 1 looks very similar to IPB 2.