IP.Board 3.1.x URL Redirection

3dsoft

Will there be a IP.Board 3.1.x URL Redirection script? Because IP.Board is one of the biggest competitor of vbulletin and many webmasters have switched to IPB in the past.

Yes, you are right. But someone told me about the complicated option to import the database first to vbulletin and then from vbulletin to xenforo.

Redirects rely on mappings from the old ids to the new ids. In the case of an IPB -> vB -> xF import you would have the IPB mappings in the vB database, and the vB mappings in the xF database. It is possible to setup redirects in this context, but the double mapping complicates matters somewhat.

I'm sure there will be a direct IPB -> xF importer eventually.

Redirects rely on mappings from the old ids to the new ids. In the case of an IPB -> vB -> xF import you would have the IPB mappings in the vB database, and the vB mappings in the xF database. It is possible to setup redirects in this context, but the double mapping complicates matters somewhat.
I've been curious about whether the original urls would be lost on a second conversion, or if all of the original links would be lost forever after the second conversion.

Specifically would the links to specific posts in the software 1 forum be lost after converting to sw3 through sw2 (sw1 -> sw2 -> sw3)

The links aren't lost with two imports. They are just spread over two databases.

For example, if these are the id numbers of a particular thread following each import:

IPB = 1
vB = 2
xF = 3

Then the vB database maps 2 to 1, and the xF database maps 3 to 2.

These redirection scripts only map 3 to 2. There is no direct map from 3 to 1 like you need which is the complication. There are different ways to go about this, but that is the essence of the problem.

You would have to double map things, unfortn. :(
A solution could be to write down the ipb_id and vb_id and then while importing the xf_id and then have those mapped .. so you can have google traffic that goes to the ipb_id be checked against the vb_id and load the xf_id's equivelant ..

personally, i just wait 2 weeks and have google re-index the site.

Top Bottom