iOS6 - Your Experiences?

Alteran Ancient

So, the new OS has been released, just a few days before the launch of the iPhone 5 (there's another thread for iPhone discussion), but what are your thoughts and experiences with the OS?

Apparently, the new Maps App in a nutshell:
tumblr_maok9ngDbA1rhptwbo1_500.jpg

Are there any new features you particularly like or dislike? I'm an Android fanboy, so as I can only experience it from an iPod Touch or iPad, I'm curious to hear what the experience is from an iPhone user's perspective - I won't be upgrading either of my devices until Apple iron-out the issues.

Thanks.

I haven't try IOS 6 yet, but taken away google maps is a big fail especially if there is no alternative now.

If Steve Jobs was alive, he would be right now yelling and throwing things at the engineers who made the Maps app saying they were failures, and they tarnished the Apple brand.

I think I might be the only person to actually like the Maps app.

I never used Street View or satellite imagery on the old app. But I always wanted turn by turn navigation and now we have it.

Obviously if Google release a new Maps app with Google Navigation then that would be a win because Navigation on Android is awesome.

I've delayed purchase and upgrades solely due to the maps. Even if google does release a maps app, it will no longer be fully integrated with the phone. My apps that currently integrate with the native maps app will no longer use google maps.

It's a better maps app in my experience. Loads faster, has no ads, and has great turn by turn directions integrated well with the OS (e.g. on the lock screen, or as a flip-down notification when in another app). I kind of wish these features were available to third-party nav apps, because I primarily use Navigon to get from point A to point B.

For the first release, it's pretty durn good. And it will only get better.

When Google releases their maps app on the App Store, people can have the best of both worlds.

Plus, just like with YouTube, Google will be able to update it without having to update the whole OS.

It's a better maps app in my experience. Loads faster, has no ads, and has great turn by turn directions integrated well with the OS (e.g. on the lock screen, or as a flip-down notification when in another app). I kind of wish these features were available to third-party nav apps, because I primarily use Navigon to get from point A to point B.

For the first release, it's pretty durn good. And it will only get better.

When Google releases their maps app on the App Store, people can have the best of both worlds.

Plus, just like with YouTube, Google will be able to update it without having to update the whole OS.
I read a while back that a lot of functionality offered by Google Maps on Android isn't possible on iOS due to restrictions by Apple.

I read a while back that a lot of functionality offered by Google Maps on Android isn't possible on iOS due to restrictions by Apple.
Google restricted the Google Maps API that Apple were using in their implementation of Google Maps on iOS. Google didn't have to follow their own restrictions when making their app on Android. The assumption, then, is that they will also not have to follow their own restrictions when releasing an App Store implementation of it.

Navigon does pretty good on its own, within the guidelines of the iOS system. They can have background voice guidance, but they can't take over the lock screen like the built in maps app. They can even do Street View like Android's Google Maps app does at the end of navigation.

Google restricted the Google Maps API that Apple were using in their implementation of Google Maps on iOS. Google didn't have to follow their own restrictions when making their app on Android. The assumption, then, is that they will also not have to follow their own restrictions when releasing an App Store implementation of it.

Navigon does pretty good on its own, within the guidelines of the iOS system. They can have background voice guidance, but they can't take over the lock screen like the built in maps app. They can even do Street View like Android's Google Maps app does at the end of navigation.

The reason why Google restricted the API was due to abuse by many developers (If you need it I can find the article where they posted just how much abuse was being done), not to stiff Apple anyway. Their decision to lock down the API, and the decision to charge for specific usage is fair, especially when you take into account that they've spent untold amounts of money to get their maps where they are today.

That article link is also completely biased, as he skips over a key part of the ToS ("2. Restrictions on Use. Unless you have received prior written authorization from Google (or, as applicable, from the provider of particular Content), you must not:") which Apple would have had due to being partnered to Google at the time. Apple was unwilling to provide certain information to Google which is required for certain functionality from the API (Google only supplied data, they never wrote any code for the app).

The problem is people will expect all the functionality of the Google Maps on Android (As well as Navigator), and there are limitations to what Apple allows (Unless it has changed since I last checked). It also depends on Apple approving the app in the first place, as they've had the Google Search app that offers Google Now functionality waiting for a while now, and there shouldn't be any reason for the delay.

Top Bottom