Your experiences with Carta, Showroom, something else?

Robert9

I have a client with some hundreds of categories nested in four levels like continent, country, cities, something - some of the countries needs one more level for counties also. He has some thousands of pages.

The Wiki seems to be something with much, much work by hand? I miss some functions for an easier life.
Maybe showcase? Most of the linked pages with showcase are not existing anymore or have stopped using it. Any idea why?

Or is there anything else?

Very often i wished to install the RM more than one time in ads/adresses/recipe/links/whatever.

I can use other scripts outside from XF also, but the idea was to have everthing in one system.

Last edited:
I am also planning right now in using Bob's Showcase addon as a Wiki for several thousands of pages.
In my view the Showcase addon is much better than the current alternatives XWiki and XenCarta (not to mention RM).

The only big missing piece is that multiple people can't edit a page (as each page has only one owner, just like threads), but anything is already there. It has custom fields, several permissions and settings, threads are linked to pages, every page has its own gallery, nice looking pages, several display options... Since the XF editor works on Showcase aswell, your users don't have to re-learn new syntax and you can put html, if you want custom pages.

Specially when you combine @Siropu KWM addon, you have the almost perfect Wiki. Not just that, you can use @AddonsLab Filter addon to filter your wiki pages aswell.

Bob updates his addons regularly and his support is always there. The other 2 alternatives have very low support.

Maybe one day @Xon can make his collaborative addon working with Bob's addons. Then I would say we have the perfect wiki system with native XF tools.

Edit: I forgot, there is also VaultWiki as an alternative. I didn't like their approach honestly, too clunky, outdated and confusing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xon
I am also planning right now in using Bob's Showcase addon as a Wiki for several thousands of pages.
In my view the Showcase addon is much better than the current alternatives XWiki and XenCarta (not to mention RM).

The only big missing piece is that multiple people can't edit a page (as each page has only one owner, just like threads), but anything is already there.

Specially when you combine @Siropu KWM addon, you have the almost perfect Wiki. Not just that, you can use @AddonsLab Filter addon to filter your wiki pages aswell.

Bob updates his addons regularly and his support is always there. The other 2 alternatives have very low support.

Maybe one day @Xon can make his collaborative addon working with Bob's addons. Then I would say we have the perfect wiki system with native XF tools.

By the very definition a wiki is a knowledgebase on which users collaborate so as fine of a product that showcase is it's definitely not a wiki.

By the very definition a wiki is a knowledgebase on which users collaborate so as fine of a product that showcase is it's definitely not a wiki.
Yeah, no.
The users still can collaborate, in the discussion thread, and those stuff can be added by a mod or by the owner of the wiki. So the collaboration part is there and the Showcase with its sections is the perfect fit to serve as a knowledgebase.
Yes, it is limitting in that like traditionally people can't edit whatever item they want (actually, they can do, if you allow everyone the edit permission, but you don't really want that, you want it more controlled), but still Showcase can be passed as a wiki. Specially considering it is also based on categories, it is perfectly suited as a knowledgebase.
And then using the KWM addon, you can also link stuff with each other, just like on a traditional wiki. So there is also that.
What also missing is a table of contents (actually, there should have been an addon, but the dev disappeared), but that is a small thing, Anything else is there as mentioned except for the controlled user collaboration, which can be done indirectly.

Also, if anyone had the small cash lying on the side, one could custom develop the missing part. As Showcase follows strictly XF core stuff, and since Xon already developed an addon for the same thing for threads (which are no different then showcase pages), sooner or later something could be developed also for Showcase pages. I already made a suggestion about this on Bob's forums, maybe in future he himself gets it done, who knows.

Last edited:
actually, they can do, if you allow everyone the edit permission, but you don't really want that, you want it more controlled
You could also have regular registered members not have this permission, but grant it later on. Not like Wikipedia, per se, but there are levels there too—you can't make a page until your 10th edit or approve others until your 500th or something like that.

Top Bottom