Invite all of you to try out new addon: XenGallery

yeap, I agree with XF being good at SEO. Actually microdata was gonna be my next question. Glad it has already been implemented.

so what is on the road map ? How far are is it from XF-RM ? :)
What you could see in the demo are what it has at this time. Other features are in to-do list (including importers).

As photos have copyright (not like pinterest), this feature might not available, at least in the upcoming releases. If do like this, I refer to do like FB to have "Share" button, where it points to the source albums/photos rather than yours.

Copyright can be taken care of by showing the source (either an original source URL or an original poster's name at the bottom of the enlarged picture view during hovering), no matter the photo is being posted or re-posted; in the case of photo is uploaded by an original poster, you give the member an option during upload - whether allow Re-Post or not; if member chooses reserve all copyrights of the photo, then the "Re-Post" button doesn't show in the enlarged picture view, and, the program could also add in a line of notes about copyrights reserved for the orginal author XXX at the bottom right hand corner of the enlarged picture view(during hovering). So all this can be taken care of, with a little bit more of conditionals in coding.

Like I mentioned in post: http://xenforo.com/community/thread...new-addon-xengallery.52793/page-9#post-574545 , Facebook share button, without the 'friends function' integrated into XF, doesn't make too much sense for this add-on...

Also, if this add-on chooses only allow members to share the photo link to other sites, that doesn't help at all for the issue how to let members share their photos on your XF site.

Very glad to see this add-on's pretty LOOK which simulate Pinterest's photo display format, BUT, without the "Re-Post" feature implemented, the essential design element, "Re-Pin", that has made Pinterest getting so much more interactions among its members is MISSED completely. Without the "Re-Post", this add-on would still be a static photo gallery, lack of the DYNAMIC engine that has driven social media sites like Pinterest become so successful. If one looked at Pinterest a little closer, one can easily see the "Re-Pin" feature has helped increasing the number of photo postings on it by at least ten times, if not more.

Last edited:
Copyright can be taken care of by showing the source (either an original source URL or an original poster's name at the bottom of the enlarged picture view during hovering), no matter the photo is being posted or re-posted; in the case of photo is uploaded by an original poster, you give the member an option during upload - whether allow Re-Post or not; if member chooses reserve all copyrights of the photo, then the "Re-Post" button doesn't show in the enlarged picture view, and, the program could also add in a line of notes about copyrights reserved for the orginal author XXX at the bottom right hand corner of the enlarged picture view(during hovering). So all this can be taken care of, with a little bit more of conditionals in coding.

Like I mentioned in post: http://xenforo.com/community/thread...new-addon-xengallery.52793/page-9#post-574545 , Facebook share button, without the 'friends function' integrated into XF, doesn't make too much sense for this add-on...

Also, if this add-on chooses only allow members to share the photo link to other sites, that doesn't help at all for the issue how to let members share their photos on your XF site.

Very glad to see this add-on's pretty LOOK which simulate Pinterest's photo display format, BUT, without the "Re-Post" feature implemented, the essential design element, "Re-Pin", that has made Pinterest getting so much more interactions among its members is MISSED completely. Without the "Re-Post", this add-on would still be a static photo gallery, lack of the DYNAMIC engine that has driven social media sites like Pinterest become so successful. If one looked at Pinterest a little closer, one can easily see the "Re-Pin" feature has helped increasing the number of photo postings on it by at least ten times, if not more.
That is why we have:
- Collection: For staffs promote good albums.
- Photo/Album bbcode: To include photo/album into the posts/threads.
when I try to comment in a picture it throws this.
View attachment 50681
Commenting on album works just fine.
I see you still can comment on my photo.

As photos have copyright (not like pinterest), this feature might not available, at least in the upcoming releases. If do like this, I refer to do like FB to have "Share" button, where it points to the source albums/photos rather than yours.

"re-post" is just another term for "bookmarking". Not sure what that has to do with Copyright....
The Copyright-issues Pinterest is having is regarding "pinning" of pictures from other external websites via a "Browser Bookmarklet" onto their own Pinterest-website.

"re-post" is just another term for "bookmarking". Not sure what that has to do with Copyright....
The Copyright-issues Pinterest is having is regarding "pinning" of pictures from other external websites via a "Browser Bookmarklet" onto their own Pinterest-website.
Thank you for all of your great and beautiful suggestions. We are building a Gallery, not Pinterest clone, so not all the features would be added, at least at this time. I would check and see what are suitable for the gallery. Thank you again @erich37

Thank you for all of your great and beautiful suggestions. We are building a Gallery, not Pinterest clone, so not all the features would be added, at least at this time. I would check and see what are suitable for the gallery. Thank you again @erich37
thank you so much for not cloning Pinterest. Not that I hate pinterest its just because XF Gallery should be what you are building.

That is why we have:
- Collection: For staffs promote good albums.
- Photo/Album bbcode: To include photo/album into the posts/threads.

These are all good.

But, not that I don't like the staff/editor's picks feature, internet has passed the age of having only staff pick what content is good for users;).

Users involvement and interactions are key to any successful social platform. In the case of photo galleries add-ons, allowing "Re-Post" any photos(copyright permitting) on a site by any user into their own albums for more convenient access to their favorite photos, and also allow users to see on the gallery front page the latest Posted and Re-Posted photos is an innovational way to encourage more user involvement and interactions with the content of galleries, it'll also help you to raise the bar of quality photo postings - as only the most liked ( most beautiful, unique or useful etc. ) photos get the most frequent appearances on the gallery front page, mediocre photos show up much less times...

I don't think anyone is asking a Pinterest clone for the photo gallery add-on here. Just, a better gallery add-on, packed with more dynamic features that
1. help encourage quality photo postings,
2. make users accessing their favorite photos more convenient, and
3. dramatically increase user involvement and interactions with the photo content.

"Re-Post" is the key to achieve all this because it enables: letting users dictate what is good for them ; letting users help promote good photos on your XF site; letting users help energize the galleries on your XF site.

This is fundamentally different from having only the editor's picks feature + making photos viewable/commentable.

These are all good.

But, not that I don't like the staff/editor's picks feature, internet has passed the age of having only staff pick what content is good for users;).

Users involvement and interactions are key to any successful social platform. In the case of photo galleries add-ons, allowing "Re-Post" any photos(copyright permitting) on a site by any user into their own albums for more convenient access to their favorite photos, and also allow users to see on the gallery front page the latest Posted and Re-Posted photos is an innovational way to encourage more user involvement and interactions with the content of galleries, it'll also help you to raise the bar of quality photo postings - as only the most liked ( most beautiful, unique or useful etc. ) photos get the most frequent appearances on the gallery front page, mediocre photos show up much less times...

I don't think anyone is asking a Pinterest clone for the photo gallery add-on here. Just, a better gallery add-on, packed with more dynamic features that
1. help encourage quality photo postings,
2. make users accessing their favorite photos more convenient, and
3. dramatically increase user involvement and interactions with the photo content.

"Re-Post" is the key to achieve all this because it enables: letting users dictate what is good for them ; letting users help promote good photos on your XF site; letting users help energize the galleries on your XF site.

This is fundamentally different from having only the editor's picks feature + making photos viewable/commentable.

Agree with you 100% (y)

But I guess we need to wait for another Addon-developer who is willing and able to create a Photo-Gallery including the "re-post" and "pinning" feature.

:coffee:

Top Bottom