Invision Community just discontinued their marketplace

🤷‍♂️ never been banned, and I think I have a total of 8 warnings on every site I have been on, most of which were soft verbal warnings.
Every site has moderators that loose their mind... Maybe it was a dream, but I think the one warning I got on this site was when I self-censored a word I wrote. I got a warning for not writing out the swear word.

Again... it was so long ago it might have been a dream. Someone that can see my warning history can confirm or deny if this happened or not. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Over moderation of forums does suck, sometimes the strict rules are needed.
Sometimes they aren't.
Even on here i'm censored. Do i care? Not really because most of my stuff gets posted.

They have a decent product, a pretty (or was until they started paring back what their add-ons offered) well rounded suite of products.
IPS and XF have two totally different mind sets (as evidence by them offering a suite and trying to do more in core vs depending on outside developers to extend the base script like XF does).
Each script targets a different audience. I like their script.. it's other issues that keeps me from using their product unless it was a last resort.
Mate,

If their product wasn't so expensive nearly everyone and their dogs would be using their forum software.
Just happens that the staff there over moderate their forums.
You can't be giving people warnings and bannings just for clarifying stuff.

I don't see any expired warnings for you.
Wait no... it did happen here. :)

And it was almost exactly 10 years ago...

An actual warning wasn't issued though.
Oh... like I said, was so long ago I wasn't even sure if it was a dream or not. This was so long ago it was like 3 lifetimes/careers ago... hah

Maybe I was just assuming since users can't see their own warnings in XenForo (which I've always found weird). I guess how would anyone know if they got an actual warning or not? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Every site has moderators that loose their mind... Maybe it was a dream, but I think the one warning I got on this site was when I self-censored a word I wrote. I got a warning for not writing out the swear word.

Again... it was so long ago it might have been a dream. Someone that can see my warning history can confirm or deny if this happened or not. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I think most of my verbal warnings have been on XF :whistle:.

To be fair though, I know I deserve most of them :LOL:.

I think most of my verbal warnings have been on XF
I've gotten one on IPS... seems I torqued a certain head honcho over there when I implied they had lied about certain things.
The rest of mine have been here.
To be fair though, I know I deserve most of them
I know mine have been (as they were intentional acts to get reactions)... but squeaky wheels and all that. Sometimes psychological "warfare" gets dirty.

Each script targets a different audience. I like their script.. it's other issues that keeps me from using their product unless it was a last resort.
I agree. I might well be using their software on a couple of sites if it wasn't for all the uncertainties inherent in their product direction and management style. The software is very well suited to commercial applications and the costs involved are insignificant compared to other suitable products.

Personally I find their management style to be unprofessional at best and downright insulting at worst e.g. 'one huge area of abuse on the old way was people not renewing for 3 years, paying $50, and then getting 3 years worth of new software.' :rolleyes:

I think they take too narrow a view of the market. There's no reason a good software package can't work well for the solo hobbyist, the enterprise, and everything in between.

It works for Windows, Microsoft Office applications, and countless other applications.

I think they take too narrow a view of the market. There's no reason a good software package can't work well for the solo hobbyist, the enterprise, and everything in between.

It works for Windows, Microsoft Office applications, and countless other applications.
I reckon if IPS was meant to be so popular the marketplace would have stayed.
But due it being so expensive (i saw that you have to pay for your license every 6 months for some outragious price) along with everything else it's been taken away.
Also saw that many people are sick of the expense and have sought to move to xenforo or other places and have gotten banned because of it.

Well, after many years, I plan on getting an XenForo license. I stepped away in 2021 due to health issues and returned last week to get a new forum going. Come to find out, Invision is alienating their customers and trying to push them to their cloud services.

Based on their responses, I can tell they no longer care about their self-hosted customers like me and have even been obnoxiously snobby. I'm hoping I can get a refund from them for my purchase on Friday because I don't want their product anymore, no matter how good it is.

To top it off, they shadow-banned me on their forums.

I'm hoping I can get a refund from them for my purchase on Friday because I don't want their product anymore, no matter how good it is.
Good luck.. probably about as much chance as an ice cube has of lasting more than 3 minutes on the asphalt here in Texas currently.
I've seen that the XF developers are a lot more understanding.

Good luck.. probably about as much chance as an ice cube has of lasting more than 3 minutes on the asphalt here in Texas currently.
I've seen that the XF developers are a lot more understanding.
You're more than likely correct. I suppose a switch to Xen for me is in order. I am concerned about Xenforo's development plan, to be honest.

I am concerned about Xenforo's development plan, to be honest.
It's slow (and recently GLACIALLY such)... and you really shouldn't expect any earth shattering improvements (as far as end user experience goes) as XF is fairly dependent upon outside developers to provide what the other paid scripts have either as core or as 1st party offerings. Also don't expect any "early reveals" as they generally get sprung (in the HYS node) once it's ready for testing.
I've ran both... and you can easily see what I settled on my the sites in my sig.
IPS has a much better script overall (as far as 1st party offerings go - Pages is REALLY nice)... but their "promise" of self-hosted for the life of 5.x I put in the same zone as their promise of "perpetual licenses".

It's slow (and recently GLACIALLY such)... and you really shouldn't expect any earth shattering improvements (as far as end user experience goes) as XF is fairly dependent upon outside developers to provide what the other paid scripts have either as core or as 1st party offerings. Also don't expect any "early reveals" as they generally get sprung (in the HYS node) once it's ready for testing.
I've ran both... and you can easily see what I settled on my the sites in my sig.
IPS has a much better script overall (as far as 1st party offerings go - Pages is REALLY nice)... but their "promise" of self-hosted for the life of 5.x I put in the same zone as their promise of "perpetual licenses".
Their product has always been solid to me, but their customer support and business actions have been the worst. Once I recently became aware of how much they were moving away from self-hosted, I started doing some digging. Come to find out not only are they shifting their focus but they're purposely shadow-banning self-hosted customers on their forums (every post of mine now needs approval). I expressed my issues with their decisions yesterday, only for that post to disappear.

So, while XenForo may not be keeping up with products like Invision is offering, I rather switch to XenForo based on just that alone! I too believe they will drop self-hosted within the 5.x cycle, and nothing they say at this point could change my mind. Very disappointed and now I am out of $60 which could have gone towards THIS product instead.

Top Bottom