Migration from Invision Community to Xenforo

bubo1

Hello,

I manage a forum under a old Invision Community version (4.2.5) and I'm very interresting to migrate this forum to XenForo seld-hosted version.

I see XenForo have a migration tool compatible with Invision Community 4.x.x but I see some threads indicate it will be very fastidious task to migrate correctly all datas to XenForo.

Someone did it already this migration path (Invision 4.x.x to Xenforo) ? What is the complexity to do this ? And can we retrieve all data (members, topics, messages, private message, etc) on the XenForo forum after migration ?

Thank you for your help

Thanks @Slavik for your answer.

There is a documentation about migration process ?

I need to be reassured about that before buy the license.
It works fine and has for several years. I migrated a 4.3 site over to XF without issue. The only thing it won't migrate is stuff like Pages, downloads and the media gallery.

If you end up having trouble you can always ask us for help, we have a very large helpful community here on XenForo customer forums, with many experienced XenForo addon developers and so on. Some people even like volunteering to help others with their problems.

Hi i'd like to know this as invision community has screwed over their addon devs

I left Late 2021 and the writing was on the wall then re screwing over developers, it was also on the wall they would screw over self-hosted customers, in the last 6 months of me being there I posted the truth a few times (which they didnt like) and then got posts tidied up, deleted and moderated - and I had 3 boards and paid support, I decided then it was going down the pan and they didnt give a hoot about small fry customers one little bit......

I havent been back since and can only imagine its even worse there now

Hello,

I manage a forum under a old Invision Community version (4.2.5) and I'm very interresting to migrate this forum to XenForo seld-hosted version.

I see XenForo have a migration tool compatible with Invision Community 4.x.x but I see some threads indicate it will be very fastidious task to migrate correctly all datas to XenForo.

Someone did it already this migration path (Invision 4.x.x to Xenforo) ? What is the complexity to do this ? And can we retrieve all data (members, topics, messages, private message, etc) on the XenForo forum after migration ?

Thank you for your help

Back in 2021 we imported a large forum from IPB - one issues was permissions (groups and viewing forums) - this didnt import well at all well - Some permissions do come over BUT I worked out it depends how these permissions are set up in IPB as to wether the XF importer misses some of them or not....... I dont know if this was ever addressed and fixed as I havent done one since

The demo does not support importing.

You would need to purchase a self hosted license if you want to do your own import.

A small price to pay when you have the headache of Invision

The Kid Mero Lol GIF by Desus & Mero

I have long standing ask i.e. convert IPS files/downloads to XF resources. Similar boat i.e. i can let go Pages, blogs, etc. content. However, downloads/files, I can re-upload all.

It would be nice if XF team can provide converters. IPS is just going towards the route, where they don't care about customer feedback.

Depreciation on features, removing addons from marketplace, pushing new licensing, cloud specific features, etc.

I have long standing ask i.e. convert IPS files/downloads to XF resources. Similar boat i.e. i can let go Pages, blogs, etc. content. However, downloads/files, I can re-upload all.

It would be nice if XF team can provide converters. IPS is just going towards the route, where they don't care about customer feedback.

Depreciation on features, removing addons from marketplace, pushing new licensing, cloud specific features, etc.

The aftermarket here is thriving.

Send a DM if interested in Invision Downloads -> XF Resource Manger import/conversion services.

Be aware that not all of the features in Downloads are support in XF Resource Manager. For example, revenue sharing.

Top Bottom