XF 2.1 Invision 4.5.2 to XenForo 2.1

Venthas

Importing Invision 4.5.2 to XenForo 2.1, when the Files are hosted on am s3 bucket appears to be broken.

Reproducing:
On Invision:
With "Storage Configuration" (system > files > storage settings > Configurations), setup an Amazon s3 bucket.
Under Storage Settings, swap all settings to use an s3 bucket except for Theme Resources.

On XenForo
Upload xF to the Invision root directory.
Install xF, install importer.
When attempting to run an import, no matter what folder is specified, you either get "Could not read, check permissions" or "Does not contain the expected results".

If thats the case, what do I need to do to run the conversion? There's over 600 GB of gallery data hosted on s3. Can the converter be run on a local host via XAMP or similar? I'm assuming then that the conversion process would be:

Download the invision files (on server and from s3), place Xenforo into this directory, install Xenforo via XAMP, install the inporter, run the inporter. Delete Invsion from the host, upload Xenforo to the host and install, install the s3 addon, upload files to the s3, and rebuild the caches?

That should work.

The importer doesn't require the software script files though - just the database and attachments.

If you have space on the server you could just copy the DB and S3 files to it and do the import on the server.
That will save transferring the XF DB from localhost to the server.

That should work.

The importer doesn't require the software script files though - just the database and attachments.

If you have space on the server you could just copy the DB and S3 files to it and do the import on the server.
That will save transferring the XF DB from localhost to the server.
Unfortunately not. Storage capacity is one of the main reasons we use s3.

When uploading from local host, is there anything important I should be aware of?

I expect the database will be large so you will have to use something like mysqldump via shell, rather than exporting from phpmyadmin.

If you haven't already seen it, here's a guide for installing XF on localhost.

And this is some general import tips.

Without a way to convert an invision community hosting its files on an s3, conversions are going to be extremely difficult. I checked our bucket, which contains about 800 GB of data, and our database which is approximately 1 GB of data. So to download the s3 data, perform the conversion on localhost, and then upload all of that data back into the s3, thats 1.6 TB of data which has to be handled manually. On my home network, which has a 1 TB a month cap, plus people watching Netflix and the like. It's quite unreasonable.

Top Bottom