Interview with Shawn Hogan (Digital Point)

Yep... after I'm done with it, hopefully I can find someone willing to take it over and turn it into something a little more generic so others could use it.

Awesome, and yeah I'm sure someone would take it over and make it generic for others to use it. I'm sure there's alot of people after / looking for a good full import script lol. :) ;)

For those that were interested in the importer, I tossed it up with a giant disclaimer that it absolutely will need to be modified for any site wanting to use it.

https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com/a-r-f-i-a-really-fast-vb4-importer.908/item

Free for premium members on our site (I know quite a few people here already are, so...)

If people want to modify it to make it more universal/generic, they are free to do so and turn around and sell it for profit, as long as they sell it in our digital goods marketplace.

For those that were interested in the importer, I tossed it up with a giant disclaimer that it absolutely will need to be modified for any site wanting to use it.

https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com/a-r-f-i-a-really-fast-vb4-importer.908/item

Free for premium members on our site (I know quite a few people here already are, so...)

If people want to modify it to make it more universal/generic, they are free to do so and turn around and sell it for profit, as long as they sell it in our digital goods marketplace.

Third addon released. Waiting for next things :)

I wan't to know how you keep it all together with all the moaning about XF and the 3 likes rule lmao.
I'd probably have started handing out bans for 3 days. "complaining about 3 likes and get a 3 day ban"
LMAO

Or do you have an add-on that hides all the moaning and you able to browse through recent activity or spy without seeing it? lmao!

*just kidding I know you've responded to some of it already*

Well before you couldn't do much on the site until 14 days after you register... So the change actually let's people do stuff sooner. You just have the complainers who never offered anything useful to the site complaining now. New user's aren't complaining, nor are the existing good users who ever got positive rep (which was turned into likes).

Just out of curiosity what are you waiting for specifically? I might be able to tell you right off the bat if I'll ever release it or not. :)
Well, since you asked..... :p

- Your Google+ & Twitter account connection is pretty slick. I'd love to see XF have stock Twitter communications built-in (coincidence that the XF status updates are 140 characters?) so that 3rd party add-ons could just use the core XF tools but I don't think that'll be happening in the near future.

- The portal is looking mighty nice.

- Having branding free options available would be appreciated.

Well, since you asked..... :p

- Your Google+ & Twitter account connection is pretty slick. I'd love to see XF have stock Twitter communications built-in (coincidence that the XF status updates are 140 characters?) so that 3rd party add-ons could just use the core XF tools but I don't think that'll be happening in the near future.

- The portal is looking mighty nice.

- Having branding free options available would be appreciated.
Well the "Third Party Accounts" system I made is so tightly integrated with various other parts of the site, I'm not sure if it even *could* be broken apart without making it kludgey and weird.

Some cases where the third party account links are tied into other stuff...

Twitter Link: tied into our Social Bar addon at the top of the pages and tied into our premium membership addon. Because if you are a premium member, linking it makes it so your tweets can be used as filler on the social bar.

Google Analytics Link: tied to tools (for example the Analytics Globe shows for YOUR Analytics account you linked). Tied to the marketplace for selling domains/sites (sellers can optionally choose to show their Analytics data... so the charts are coming in via the link/API). For example: https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/top-ranked-minecraft-website-for-sale.2629755/

Google AdSense Link: tied to marketplace for auctions as well (see above).

PayPal Link: Where to even begin... tied to marketplace for both sending and receiving payments, tied to digital goods area for selling/delivering digital goods, allows incoming payments for affiliate payments, etc.

Well the "Third Party Accounts" system I made is so tightly integrated with various other parts of the site, I'm not sure if it even *could* be broken apart without making it kludgey and weird.
I figured but it never hurts to ask. :) I knew the PayPal & Google Analytics were tightly tied into other parts of the site plus, with those being part of the DP signature offerings, I knew better then to even ask. The 'post to twitter' capability & Google+ connection for using author avatars in the search results is a bit more generic that I think would be of interest to a lot of XF sites.

I figured but it never hurts to ask. :) I knew the PayPal & Google Analytics were tightly tied into other parts of the site plus, with those being part of the DP signature offerings, I knew better then to even ask. The 'post to twitter' capability & Google+ connection for using author avatars in the search results is a bit more generic that I think would be of interest to a lot of XF sites.
Yeah, the problem with trying to split just those out to separate addons, is it starts making the existing stuff kludgey. Like do we need to have a "Third Party Accounts 1" settings page and different "Third Party Accounts 2" settings page? Stuff just starts getting weird when you essentially are trying to split what really is one addon into two different addons. Double the listeners, models, etc. to extend and everything else.

As far as the Twitter stuff, I think there's an addon that does it here in the resource manager isn't there? And the Google+ link is kind of useless since the Google+ API doesn't allow you to write to it (only read). The main thing we use it for is for Google Authorship support for users, and it requires a lot of template edits to work right... which starts becoming a support issue.

I dunno... maybe someday, but right now the Third Party Accounts addon just isn't a super great candidate to release (at least not reative to some other stuff).

Just out of curiosity what are you waiting for specifically? I might be able to tell you right off the bat if I'll ever release it or not. :)

The one addon that you have that I'd love access to is the one that shares one thread across multiple forums, I have a lot of threads I'd love to share between multiple forums, it's only natural for a history forum. Any chance you'd be able to release that as an addon?

The one addon that you have that I'd love access to is the one that shares one thread across multiple forums, I have a lot of threads I'd love to share between multiple forums, it's only natural for a history forum. Any chance you'd be able to release that as an addon?
I don't have such a thing...

I heard Shawn is moving to vb5. Despite his claims of *willing to insert X object into Y cavity in preference* I think secretly hes in love with it.

Anyone know what happened with Walter? Just seemed to disappear after being such a big part of xenForo.
I remember him having a pretty beast server, maybe there is a lot going on for him on his end of the world having to do with his sites? I don't pry so I don't really know, hopefully he is still around...I remember him being very enthusiastic in the early days of XF.

Top Bottom