Interview with Jerry

"I've seen quite a few developers I respect go the Mac route ... I'm still resisting the shininess ... though I *might* get a little macbook pro and a docking station, if nothing else but to learn my way around another OS (with a decent mouse). Learning something different is always good."

That's exactly how I started using Mac :)

Good interview, and that included video about management is awesome, they should show that to the IB team instead of another Powerpoint presentation on how to maximize profit.

Although I had never heard of ImpEx I have enjoyed reading that article! He seems like a very thoughtful and intelligent guy!

jerry interview said:
I would estimate from the launch of vB 3.0 to date, that ImpEx converted 20,000 sites (be that migrations, merge imports or the dreaded “I'm impex-ing my site clean”, ask Jake Bunce about that one! ), though I suspect it is higher, though don't want to get into quoting business & license numbers etc..

Ah yes, the "fresh" imports. For some reason people are inclined to import from vB to vB in order to clean out addons and perceived cruft in the database. The mentality seems similar to Windows users who like to reinstall their OS occasionally.

Generally vB to vB imports should only be used to merge two populated forums. Imports have certain side effects which makes them not good for "cleaning" purposes. Most notably, all old bookmarks and search engine links are broken by the import. It is possible to redirect traffic with some extra effort, but that is usually not what these people have in mind.

Not being a vber I didn't know who the heck Jerry was, but very interesting interview though I would tend to disagree on the marketing thing ... no I'm not a marketer though as the adage goes "everyone is a salesperson".

Thanks Sandman!

Good interview, and that included video about management is awesome, they should show that to the IB team instead of another Powerpoint presentation on how to maximize profit.
If the powers that be knew enough to show the video we wouldn't be having this discussion. ;)
Although I had never heard of ImpEx I have enjoyed reading that article! He seems like a very thoughtful and intelligent guy!
Never heard of ImpEx? :eek:

Jerry is indeed very thoughtful and intelligent, and I'm sure I only scratched the surface with my questions.

Thanks Jerry! :D

... no I'm not a marketer though as the adage goes "everyone is a salesperson".

Truth by constant assertion by sales people possibly ;)

Though I do (obviously) accept that people influence each other, be that intentionally or not, through behaviour, presence or outcome of acts. Which within themselves can be directed or not (i.e. to get a desired outcome, be that sales). i.e. snake oil guy in a suit telling you to buy something vs hearing the Dalai Lama speak and feeling good and behaving in a more health manner vs seeing an act of kindness from a strange who is unaware you are watching and then you do someone else a good favour.

In all three there is cause and effect, though (in my view) different aspects of honesty or desired outcome, from manipulative though directed and intentional to unknown yet positive.

What I was thinking in the interview is that I see a lot of marketing (near all) in the first example and would prefer it to be in the second (i.e. just hearing the good, opposed to the cover up) or even the third, being observing something for what it is (seeing the software in action, or reading 3rd party reviews).

Top Bottom