1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interview with Jerry

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by The Sandman, Oct 1, 2010.

1. The Sandman

The Sandman Well-Known Member

We've just published our Interview with Jerry Hutchings. It's a great read for anyone who wants to find out more about the man who turned import/export scripts into an art form. You'll find that there's much more to Jerry than ImpEx, so make sure you're in a comfy chair and have your beverage of choice at hand before you start. :D

2. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

Very good interview. Thanks Howard and Jeremy (bka Jerry).

The Sandman likes this.
  3. borbole

borbole Well-Known Member

Indeed. It was a very interesting reading :)

The Sandman likes this.
  4. Lycaon

Lycaon Well-Known Member

That was a good read.

The Sandman likes this.
  5. Vincent

Vincent Well-Known Member

Is Jerry the ImpEx vBulletin guy? :O
    Don't know him :(

6. dutchbb

dutchbb Well-Known Member

"I've seen quite a few developers I respect go the Mac route ... I'm still resisting the shininess ... though I *might* get a little macbook pro and a docking station, if nothing else but to learn my way around another OS (with a decent mouse). Learning something different is always good."

That's exactly how I started using Mac :)

Good interview, and that included video about management is awesome, they should show that to the IB team instead of another Powerpoint presentation on how to maximize profit.

The Sandman likes this.
  7. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Although I had never heard of ImpEx I have enjoyed reading that article! He seems like a very thoughtful and intelligent guy!

The Sandman likes this.
  8. Jerry

Jerry Well-Known Member

I was yes, though no longer. I am a hired gun now till I find the next troop I want to join forces with.

9. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Wow, he went to Bournemouth University :D

10. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Ah yes, the "fresh" imports. For some reason people are inclined to import from vB to vB in order to clean out addons and perceived cruft in the database. The mentality seems similar to Windows users who like to reinstall their OS occasionally.

Generally vB to vB imports should only be used to merge two populated forums. Imports have certain side effects which makes them not good for "cleaning" purposes. Most notably, all old bookmarks and search engine links are broken by the import. It is possible to redirect traffic with some extra effort, but that is usually not what these people have in mind.

The Sandman likes this.
  11. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Not being a vber I didn't know who the heck Jerry was, but very interesting interview though I would tend to disagree on the marketing thing ... no I'm not a marketer though as the adage goes "everyone is a salesperson".

Thanks Sandman!

The Sandman likes this.
  12. The Sandman

The Sandman Well-Known Member

If the powers that be knew enough to show the video we wouldn't be having this discussion. ;)
    Never heard of ImpEx? :eek:

Jerry is indeed very thoughtful and intelligent, and I'm sure I only scratched the surface with my questions.

Thanks Jerry! :D

13. Jerry

Jerry Well-Known Member

Truth by constant assertion by sales people possibly ;)

Though I do (obviously) accept that people influence each other, be that intentionally or not, through behaviour, presence or outcome of acts. Which within themselves can be directed or not (i.e. to get a desired outcome, be that sales). i.e. snake oil guy in a suit telling you to buy something vs hearing the Dalai Lama speak and feeling good and behaving in a more health manner vs seeing an act of kindness from a strange who is unaware you are watching and then you do someone else a good favour.

In all three there is cause and effect, though (in my view) different aspects of honesty or desired outcome, from manipulative though directed and intentional to unknown yet positive.

What I was thinking in the interview is that I see a lot of marketing (near all) in the first example and would prefer it to be in the second (i.e. just hearing the good, opposed to the cover up) or even the third, being observing something for what it is (seeing the software in action, or reading 3rd party reviews).

The Sandman likes this.
  14. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Jerry, where were you living whilst you were in Bournemouth?

15. Jerry

Jerry Well-Known Member

As a student I moved about, though between Boscombe and Westbourne.

16. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Those times have changed. A lot. Boscombe is now a druggy-infused area :/

17. CFodder

CFodder Well-Known Member

Nice interview, reading through it one of the things that came through, to me anyways, about Jerry was integrity.

The Sandman likes this.
  18. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

I was there just a couple of weeks ago. Boscombe is the same now as it ever was.

19. Jerry

Jerry Well-Known Member

Meeting with one of the old connections ............ nod nod wink wink say no more ........

Forsaken likes this.
  20. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Did it always have a bad reputation? My parents used to live there, before moving to Canford Cliffs.