Internet Brands claims against XenForo

Status
Not open for further replies.
That announcement really brought us some attention.
As we don't know what is going to happen we should sit and wait for the best. There is nothing more we can do, insulting IB doesn't help either. :)

XenForo feels like it has totally different DNA to all other forum software.
I hope it all works out okay for XenForo and it doesn't turn into a lengthy ping pong battle.

What would a premium web software company be without a decent lawsuit in their history? The amount of users online now, as a result of IB publishing that news story on their announcements board, is making me grin with excitement.

Probably a court choice. IB have probably requested a hold on sales, but depending on the timing it may be too late to stop the release tomrow.

That's true as well. I don't know if they can stop sales though? Does filing a lawsuit include this procedure?

the lawsuit is too obvious. im not going to get frighten becasue of that since i know xenforo has done nothing wrong. i will buy my license tomorrow

That's true as well. I don't know if they can stop sales though? Does filing a lawsuit include this procedure?

It has to be court ordered, the lawsuit itself will basically be from IB's solicitors that they are suing X because of Y. Which, form what has been posted at the moment is all that has happened.

I will add, I am not a lawyer or solicitor, however I have a friend that is in training and I am very ineterested in the whole system, so I often pick up his case studies from uni ect so I have a better understanding than most about UK law at least.

It has to be court ordered, the lawsuit itself will basically be from IB's solicitors that they are suing X because of Y. Which, form what has been posted at the moment is all that has happened.

The court won't be in any rush to issue a C / D

Sadly, the truth is XenForo Ltd will probably need to pull the launch tomorrow, so that they can attend to this "other" issue, regardless of how petty it may seem to most. What it has done (and we know this was not IB's intention) has raised awareness of XF and the awesome community that has developed over a relatively small timescale.

XF will survive - it's genuinely too good not to.

One plus is that as far as I read IB didn't file for an injunction. If they would have had a strong enough case they should of however if they would have and lost, IB could then be liable for all lost sales because of the injunction. Again, that supports the Bleed theory.

Its like John Grisham meets Agatha Christie and I get to stir the plot!

Sadly, the truth is XenForo Ltd will probably need to pull the launch tomorrow, so that they can attend to this "other" issue, regardless of how petty it may seem to most. What it has done (and we know this was not IB's intention) has raised awareness of XF and the awesome community that has developed over a relatively small timescale.

Hmm, i'd be surprised if they did tbh. IB could file for an injunction, but i would imagine the guys would be business as usual until then.

The court won't be in any rush to issue a C / D

For those who don't know the UK at the moment also, the government is pledging a masisve ammount of aid to help UK businesses. If as I suspect this is a case of common sence (or lack thereof on IB's part) and it goes in IB's favor the political backlash for any government in power would be massive. And this is the kind of stuff the UK news likes to report.

"New UK business shut down by UK courts due to lack of common sence"

I can see it now :D

Totally agree. Unfortunately, the guys here might (and I stress might) need to put the initial sale on hold but, in the long run, I think this will only make XF stronger....plus, indeed, it's brought more attention to XF and is showing what a desperate company IB is. If they concentrated more on making their own software highly usable then there would be no need for this sort of nonsense which they're attempting.

After looking at the weather report, the weathermen have come to the conclusion that a crap storm is gonna hit IB/VB. I would hate to be in their shoes right now. If they lose, their credibility will be wrecked worse than it is now. If they win, they are still gonna have a lot of ticked off and lost customers. Man, this likely won't end favorably for them.

True true true

Alghough, I was never ready to get onto XF bandwagon just yet (many people here know my stance on this) BUT, in this case there is NOTHING vB can do to stop XF. Copyright infringement (unless a direct copy of the code) will never stand in court (not in US at least). Seen it many times. You cannot MAKE a developer think differently. IDEA doesn't belong to ANYBODY. Direct Copy of the code does. This is IB's attempt to make the judge put a hold on XF sales....thats just pure EXTORTION.

Hmm, i'd be surprised if they did tbh. IB could file for an injunction, but i would imagine the guys would be business as usual until then.
We all bloody hope you're right!

Maybe we could ALL sue IB - how many of us are planning new start up's with XF software in the near future?

I can't be on anyone's side as i have no information about the claims so i can't voice any opinion about this.

Same here. It's all about what contracts the XF developers have signed, and about the fact that IB has bought and paid for 'intellectual property'.

If IB has paid a substantial amount for that property (which could more than code, like eg. ideas, concepts etc), the XF developers probably just can't take that code with them and 'create' that intellectual property again. I'm not saying that that what's the XF developers have done, but that's what the case seems to be about.

If I build a house, I can't claim that the house is mine if someone else paid me to build it for them. If Apple or Microsoft pays someone to write their OS for them, and they have a contract about that intellectual property belongs to the payers, and not to those who are paid, they can't just leave the company, and release a new OS based on the same code intellectual property they developer for those others companies. I guess.

And again, I'm not saying that this has happened... but while this thread is interesting, and nobody 'likes' Big Fish sues Small Fish (I don't either), since we don't know the contract and what the ex-vB developers actually was paid for, it's hard to know the legal outcome of all this.

There's of course risks involved for both parts. For instance, if the (beta) release of XF will be postponed a few months, the released product may be stronger, more mature and maybe even contain a blog and CMS before it's released. And if XF isn't sold tomorrow, IB will have more time to improve vB before XF is commercially available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom