Internet Brands claims against XenForo

Status
Not open for further replies.
EU restriction of trade legislation should ensure this goes nowhere.

vBulletin are acting like they own the copyright to the entire concept of forum/bulletin board software.

I'm no lawyer, and I haven't seen the underlying code (and I would presume, neither have Internet brands, unless it's been leaked). However I really cannot see this going anywhere.

The very timing of it suggests it's a desperate measure to prevent a further exodus of customers by delaying the sale.

I also greatly dislike the implied threat to potential XenForo users. Extremely distasteful.

I think this action merely reinforces my view of the type of company Internet Brands is...remember what Howard Spinks said on their own forum....

Well the biggest question is if sales will still go on or be held.

I think they were all pumped up for sales, and when they wake up this will bring down their day.

I'm sure Kier and Mike were fairly smart and knew what agreements they couldn't breach.

It's just IB being IB... we know what they did with vBulletin.

Are you sure, they don't have files?
If they do have a copy of XF, I can see some people being taken to court for violating NDAs, though I am sure nobody who has a copy of XF would give it to IB.

Shame that it had to happen the day before release.

Anything that is said at this point is pure speculation.

I think it's fair to say that the only 2 people who fully understand the code on both platforms are unable to comment, for obvious reasons.

I'm sure that an announcement will be forthcoming from Ashley, Kier and Mike at some point once they have decided on a course of action.

Obviously, however deduction can easily work these causes out.

Im still sticking with the idea that IB have been waiting for the XF team to develop the product then go after them through intelectual property rights to basically get this new platform for nothing. They could have put this suit in a LOT LOT earlier but didn't. Why not?

Well the biggest question is if sales will still go on or be held.

I think they were all pumped up for sales, and when they wake up this will bring down their day.

I'm sure Kier and Mike were fairly smart and knew what agreements they couldn't breach.

It's just IB being IB... we know what they did with vBulletin.

Probably a court choice. IB have probably requested a hold on sales, but depending on the timing it may be too late to stop the release tomrow.

If they do have a copy of XF, I can see some people being taken to court for violating NDAs, though I am sure nobody who has a copy of XF would give it to IB.

Shame that it had to happen the day before release.

You can bet your life the timing of their announcement was made now for one reason, and one reason alone. To disrupt XF's sale tomorrow.

After looking at the weather report, the weathermen have come to the conclusion that a crap storm is gonna hit IB/VB. I would hate to be in their shoes right now. If they lose, their credibility will be wrecked worse than it is now. If they win, they are still gonna have a lot of ticked off and lost customers. Man, this likely won't end favorably for them.

Hmm, yet, how do we know the UK court is going to handle this? And not the US ones?

Generally speaking, in the US, you can only file claims in the court that would have standing over the issue, typically the county (not country) where the defendant lives or where there business is incorporated.

While IB could sue in US court, without a physical presence in the area which the court holds authority over -- any judgment would be unenforceable.

If the goal of IB was to bring down day one sales, I think they are going to find the opposite. Sure, I don't know the details of the case, but I do know bad PR when I see it. I'm a vB customer. Developing superior software that enhances the experience of my readers is the way to win customers. IB made their bed of refactored code. XF feels fresh, new and anti-bloatware. That's why I'm here, not because it resembles vB.

Hmm, yet, how do we know the UK court is going to handle this? And not the US ones?

Ummm because the announcement by IB states they are sue'ing them in England and Wales... <--- UK...

In case you missed it...

internet Brands today has commenced a lawsuit in the courts of England and Wales against Xenforo, and its founders, Kier, Mike and Ashley.

As long as Kier, Mike and Ashley give us reassurance that they have taken the appropriate steps to avoid such a matter then I'm still on for tomorrow. I do hope(I'm sure they will) make an announcement soon :)

well, this is a good sign showing that even the competition acknowledges the good quality of the XF-software.
By this announcement, the competition is actually making great marketing for XF.

I am ready to buy tomorrow !

After looking at the weather report, the weathermen have come to the conclusion that a crap storm is gonna hit IB/VB. I would hate to be in their shoes right now. If they lose, their credibility will be wrecked worse than it is now. If they win, they are still gonna have a lot of ticked off and lost customers. Man, this likely won't end favorably for them.

Well either way IB loses. Either they look like greedy sons of beeps! Or even more customers will leave them.

I can't believe they even posted this topic in their ANNOUNCEMENTS forum.. that's like telling all current and new customers. We are out here to get and take down everyone!

It's from when the announcement appeared that the staff (except moderators) is not online.
In fact they are composing a task force to burn someones offices.

Disclaimer: bla bla bla i'm joking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom