Interest in a XenForo specific iphone/android app.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the initial thoughts on subscriptions / payments etc.

Free tier:
Uses generic app using default skin. Open to everyone. Supported by inline post ads (most likely a single ad placed after the first post). User can make in-app purchase to remove ads from free-tier forums.

First tier:
Monthly costing to the forum owner. Ad slot replaced with forum owners advertisement instead. Allows for forum owner to make minor cosmetic changes to the app UI when users are browsing their forums in it.

Full tier:
App created for single specific site only. Will allow for a high degree of customization of the app within defined limits. One off creation cost and then a monthly, or yearly renewal.

The first release of the app will cover free tier only, first tier will hopefully follow shortly afterwards. Full tier will be some time after.

That's great, let's see how it turns out, I'm very keen to get the full tier, my members are screaming for an app ever since the forumrunner app was killed.

Am i missing something. Everyone is raving on about wanting to jump head first into the ocean without much information about the product. Kinda amusing to see the iphone mentality on here with people screaming sign me up without even knowing the details or cost. Do you guys not realise that Tapatalk already exists? Im yet to see anything that really differentiates this app from that.

Looking forward to seeing more information from slavik and more screenshots of the product. Personally, if an app cant give my users the same functionality that a mobile responsive design can, its not worth having. Tapatalk strangles you so only the forum section of the site works, but none of the custom/3rd party addons.

Reactions: gfc
I am currently using Tapatalk on my forum. I have had it since 2009 I believe, maybe 2010. First, if you think otherwise, mobile is the way of the now and foreseen future, second, responsive is not the answer nor will it ever be and will not get it done, its "nice" when there is no other option, but thats about it. 90% of my users use Tapaptalk. I can't turn it off or I believe I would lose users. Even if @Martok says so ;). My forum is a very small unique type niche and not compiled of just any type of traffic, so the recoup of lost users would be small to minimal.

I hate Tapatalk and do not use it just because of its end user experience, its horrible - too much "junk." Their HD version a few years ago was nice, since then, it has tumbled downward. But why not do what ever you want with the app - there is no competition.

Here are my thoughts.

It would be great to have another mobile app option for my forum, one that is clean and user friendly and free to my users. I don't care about colors and skins, just it to function as needed for the mobile end user ease of use. I'm not going to pay monthly fees, I'm not going to pay 800+ dollars a year. My site as with most small forum sites would not be able to afford this ridiculous monthly or yearly fee with the small ad revenues we make- it would be out of pocket, I'm not willing to do that.

What I would pay for is like someone mentioned above, an affordable yearly license that comes with support and updates. Before you get too far into it, take a read on Tapatalk's forums and their reviews over the last few years and see why they failed/ failing. But why would they really care, they own the market...If you don't change what they have done on their app or improve on their mistakes, what makes you think any other mobile forum app will be successful?

Good luck, I really hope this is mobile app is a game changer if it ever comes out to the Xenforo/ forum community. Will be watching very closely. :)

First tier:
Monthly costing to the forum owner. Ad slot replaced with forum owners advertisement instead. Allows for forum owner to make minor cosmetic changes to the app UI when users are browsing their forums in it.

Is that one single ad slot in a predefined location? That'll lose people considerable revenue assuming they currently utilise the maximum 3 ad slots.

Is that one single ad slot in a predefined location? That'll lose people considerable revenue assuming they currently utilise the maximum 3 ad slots.

Locations will most likely be pre-defined in first release. We are looking to mainly focus on the user-interactivity of the app and want to get people using it and posting first.

I'd have thought getting the big forums on board early would help that and you might have difficulty if you're cutting their revenue by two thirds with only 1 add slot.

It would be great to have another mobile app option for my forum, one that is clean and user friendly and free to my users. I don't care about colors and skins, just it to function as needed for the mobile end user ease of use. I'm not going to pay monthly fees, I'm not going to pay 800+ dollars a year. My site as with most small forum sites would not be able to afford this ridiculous monthly or yearly fee with the small ad revenues we make- it would be out of pocket, I'm not willing to do that.
This +1 here.

And do I understand it correctly, that the free tier of your product will force us to have ads? So we admins won't be able to disable ads placement?

Am i missing something. Everyone is raving on about wanting to jump head first into the ocean without much information about the product. Kinda amusing to see the iphone mentality on here with people screaming sign me up without even knowing the details or cost.

I do agree that people are getting a little over excited but the point of the thread was to see if there's interest and it's evident there is.

Do you guys not realise that Tapatalk already exists? Im yet to see anything that really differentiates this app from that.

The difference I see is that the content would be yours, not Tapatalk's. It'd also be coming from a more trusted source. Tapatalk has a horrible rep, Slavik doesn't. It also looks nicer. It also will likely function better. It's also specifically for XenForo which means it'll hook into more of the features than Tapatalk does.

Looking forward to seeing more information from slavik and more screenshots of the product. Personally, if an app cant give my users the same functionality that a mobile responsive design can, its not worth having. Tapatalk strangles you so only the forum section of the site works, but none of the custom/3rd party addons.

Kind of like with my last point; tapatalk is developed for all forums, therefore it takes the general aspects and doesn't focus on the specific ones.

I'm seeing Android screenshots, which do look nice. At what stage of development is this app at for iOS? One thing I repeatedly hear from TT users is the ability to have a dark mode.

This +1 here.

And do I understand it correctly, that the free tier of your product will force us to have ads? So we admins won't be able to disable ads placement?

Correct, free tier will have ads only removable by the end user. First tier will allow for admins to remove them.

I'm seeing Android screenshots, which do look nice. At what stage of development is this app at for iOS? One thing I repeatedly hear from TT users is the ability to have a dark mode.

I wasnt happy with the designs of the iOS app, awaiting new ones.

Correct, free tier will have ads only removable by the end user. First tier will allow for admins to remove them.
So how much will you charge monthly for the first tier approximately, so non-commercial places can stay non-commercial?

Free tier:
Not interested, would rather stick with Tapatalk
First tier:
Not interested, would rather stick with Tapatalk
Full tier:
Interested and willing to put good money in, but will need to see roadmap and bigger commitment than "we'll see how free tier and first tier go before Full Tier". The first two options, IMO, aren't financially viable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom