Integrated Blogs

Grover

The latest version (3.8) Kier & Mike produced for Jelsoft has it... Invision Powerboard has it. So it seems logical/natural that xenForo needs to provide integrated Blogs aswell. Otherwise a large part of customers will be unable/unwilling to transfer their vB boards to xenForo, because we really need our integrated Blogs aswell.

Please do [like] this first posting if you think it is a good feature suggestion for XenForo

Upvote 103
This looks great so far and of course I can wait.

But I will not buy it until there is a blog software in it or a bridge to blog software that can import vb blog's.

I think that's very reasonable. And by the way; nice to see you here :) I remember you from the vBulletin days. I think if someone has a site based on blog/cms/content (forum), and they're looking to switch, one is only willing to compromise so much of their site for a new product version. Reasonable to suggest a blog then, early or not. :)

That someone is a new member doesn't matter, at all. This site is up for not even two weeks, you're as new as anybody else. I think it's a bit unfair to imply with that, that if someone's new they should stick to newbie suggestions, like a pretty button. That said, I think there is space here for suggestions, including a blog, a cms, a gallery. They're realistic requests, and I believe there are no real restrictions on what people can request (as long as it is realistic). It gives the developers an impression of what the community is looking for, and how desired a feature or application is; which helps them take that under consideration during their research and development period. I do agree that I doubt version 1.0.x will see a blog addon application. In the mean time users could make a custom page, or see if there's a wordpress bridge available.
Floris, that was not what I was saying. I think you looked deeper into the post than I did when I was writing it. Of course anyone can suggest anything, as a writer I usually make quick phrases like that up and they are only really there to sound good.

I think a Blog is a great suggestion. However, despite that I support it. I notice that only a small amount of users on the sites actually use it. Unfortunately. The reason is, I believe, that every forum can have a blog, and users already post on their social networks, or the forums, and there's no real stuff for them to post on the blog. Plus, it's not their personal blog. If they are a member on various web sites, they have various blogs. Cross posting is annoying and inconvenient. That said, a lot of the somewhat serious sites out there perhaps desire to have a real "web site" powered by say XenForo and having a forum and a blog, from the same package is quite logical. Or, they just want to use it as official news, company blog, etc. For those reasons too, I'd like to see a blog as addon appear. And I do believe that once they've finalized version 1 and there's an update to improve the core code to be ready for applications, such as a blog, there might be incremental version releases to support so. It's at least something I hope for. I don't mind the wait.

If the blog can be integrated properly into XenForo, I believe that it would fantastic and encourage people to use it a lot more. Look at how many of us are using the Like feature. :p Combining Trophies and making goals like "Make your first blog entry" would encourage people do use the function more, and if information appears in the Member Card, What's New? (if it's changed to show more content than just threads), etc. I think we'll have a real winner in the future. :)

I'm with Floris.

I would love to see a blog and a couple of my members do use it but they come to my site to use the forum not the blogs.

I'll pass at having integrated blogs. It seems like a completely useless feature to me. For blogs you can register your domain -> install wordpress. :p
If I have a company site I want there to be a support forum for example, having a site powered by XenForo is not a bad idea, having business news under a blog that looks like the forum, and users can use their support account to leave comments, sounds great. I rather have that then wordpress.

I don't feel "just" forums cut it too much anymore these days... Integrated blogs would be nice, along with a cms, photogallery and many other things but I'm down for the basics now.

Absolutely agree blogs should eventually be integrated into the package.

Exactly, it's only interesting in those specific situations. Ergo, low priority. I think the experience for most forum admins is that users aren't fully using the blog.

Exactly, it's only interesting in those specific situations. Ergo, low priority. I think the experience for most forum admins is that users aren't fully using the blog.

Potentially because they weren't rolled out right but for the most part this is true.

I think the experience for most forum admins is that users aren't fully using the blog.

And some.

I posted a poll asking my members if they wanted a blog, there were no end of votes for yes and then when I announced that we had blogs I received loads of 'great' and 'thank you' posts.

Out of 300 odd active members there were only 10 blogs, mine included.

And some.

I posted a poll asking my members if they wanted a blog, there were no end of votes for yes and then when I announced that we had blogs I received loads of 'great' and 'thank you' posts.

They're all microblogging elsewhere already with their twitters and facebookers. Why bother posting on a site that isn't yours - beyond that? ..

never personally liked the idea of offering blogs on a forum.

almost everyone who wants one has one.

and the blog component on my own forum was simply used for spam. and i realized it a bit late because they did not appear on the whats new page. no one ever reported any spam post.

in the end i cleared up the entire section and disabled the blog component in the vb backend.

i understand a blog that is managed and operated by the admins and mods. but allowing members to start one? sheer insanity!

cms however makes more sense i believe. but i guess a single blog that works as a cms would meet both requirements.

And some.

never personally liked the idea of offering blogs on a forum.

almost everyone who wants one has one.
cms however makes more sense i believe. but i guess a single blog that works as a cms would meet both requirements.

I have the vb 4 suite series (to my regret), I run a forum full of designers, each has a blog BUT not ON MY FORUM. They don't want it there...too little exposure. They want one they can name themselves and even go to the point of hosting if they so desire...using whatever blogging/cms software they desire. Some use blogger (the overwhelming majority) and some use wordpress. But not a single one use the blog on my forum. Heck I run two blogs, my own personal blog and a store blog and both are hosted by blogger. 

The ONLY reason I got the suite versus the forum only was the CMS (I thought I could get it to work) and the worry that they would come down the line at some point and delete the forum only option like they had the blog/tools feature at the introduction of vb 4. 

I'd prefer a blog system that is very integrated with the user profiles, so that every user has his own blog site right there.

I think the user profiles need to turn into a 'my space' and almost be a separate site for that member. The blog integrated, along with video's, photo's etc.

These enhanced profiles then could be promoted on a general 'community page' (like suggested by Princeton).

Top Bottom