Integrate ES as part of XF 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

imthebest

This will allow Ashley to set the price of XF 2.0 to something like $170 because as we all know XenForo is way underpriced.

Please note that I'm not suggesting that existing customers should pay to get XF 2.0 (appart of the usual renewal fee), what I'm suggesting is that new XF 2.0 licenses should be sold for $170 instead of $140.

Last edited:
It is called marketing.

XF 2.0 will come with a few new features, so they can fill the HYS forum and then before the release (and after the HYS's got posted and every one is happy) they can post an announcement saying that due to the cost of producing XF 2.0 they need to increase the license fee to $170 but also, as a freebie, people will get ES as part of the core (this way you change people's perception of paying more for ES to getting ES for free).

It is really all about a good marketing plan.

Last edited:
Marketing works both ways, up the cost and you can make a product become less likely to sell to users who are 50-50 on it, adding a "freebie" at the same time you up the cost will only fool a few and again the ES is more for bigger forums so again your moving the product more away from the 50-50 start up people.

One the best forms of marketing is giving your user base a freedom to only have the stuff they need to stay within there own cost range. With you form of thinking why not make the cost $250 and add in the Gallery also, see it soon starts to become far more costly doing that.

That isn't going to be a good idea because not every forum needs a gallery nor a resource manager, however search is a key component of every forum.
You just totally made your own idea pointless, not every forum needs ES, Xenforo comes with a search that for most is fine, so your own point about its not a good idea because not every forum needs it rings true for ES, plus many will not ever be able to install the server side of it to be able to use it what makes it even less of a good idea than say the gallery.

Last edited:
not every forum needs a gallery nor a resource manager
Not every forum can even use Elastic Search. Don't forget, it most likely requires a VPS or dedicated server.

In short: Including ES as part of XF (any version) won't happen.

Yes I know but my idea was to include 2 options in the search system of XF 2.0:

- Use standard search (basic)
- Use enhanced search (advanced)

With the basic being the default option.

Anyway I was just giving Ashley an idea in how to increase the cost of XenForo. Currently $140 is way underpriced.

Xenforo already includes two options, you just buy the 2nd one if needed, your idea is forcing something a big share of the users CAN NOT use and making the base they can use cost more, its a total none starter because your forcing a added cost on to users that as no value at all to most.

Using your logic, you could include 2 options of the Gallery for XenForo 2.0
  • Use XenForo without a Gallery (switch if off in the ACP)
  • Use XenForo with a Gallery (switch it on in the ACP)
At least all XenForo owners could then choose to use the Gallery if they wanted to. Many XenForo owners who are on shared hosting simply cannot use Elastic Search.

If the XenForo developers want to raise the price of XenForo, I'm sure they will do so. I would suggest however that if they do not, they should double all of the prices just for @Super120's current and future purchases. ;)

This will allow Ashley to set the price of XF 2.0 to something like $170 because as we all know XenForo is way underpriced.

Please note that I'm not suggesting that existing customers should pay to get XF 2.0 (appart of the usual renewal fee), what I'm suggesting is that new XF 2.0 licenses should be sold for $170 instead of $140.
are you marketing guy for xenforo?I dont want pay more money for xenforo license.

If the XenForo developers want to raise the price of XenForo (...)

Well that is going to be an error.

It should be Ashley's decision to see if it is a good idea to raise the price or not. It should also be Ashley's decision to see wether including ES or MG as part of the core is a good 'white' trick to justify the price increase. If they have a business guy then they should allow that business guy to do its work: I'm sure none of the XF developers will take good if Ashley tells them how they should code XenForo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom