Installation & Migration-- best practive advice

jmueller0823

We have a web site re-build in progress,

The new site is under dev.sitename.com

Ideally, I'd like to purchase, install, migrate (from phpBB), and test in the dev location. However,
if we do the install in the dev sub-domain. I'm thinking we may have issues later after we move to the main site location (path locations, etc.)

So, would a better approach be to wait until after we go-live and THEN do the XF install?
I would keep the old phpBB db intact for the migration.

What are your thoughts?

I would prefer to install in dev, because we have time now to do that prior to launch.
However, if it means waiting for a less risky install, I'm willing to do that.

Thanks much.

No, you can install on a dev and move it at a later date. All you'll need to do is update a setting in the control panel telling the software where your install is.

The best practice?
  • Backup
This is so simple and so easy, but so many people forget to do this any time they make any changes. Doesn't matter if you're importing, upgrading, tweaking, adding, removing, or moving... Making a backup can save you.

That is the best advise I can give

(2nd would be to read up things completely. Doing a little homework on everything is a good thing).

The above applies to not only XenForo, but any online work you do. ;)

The FAQ explains it:

How can I move my installation to a different directory?
Update the Board URL in the ACP -> Options -> Basic Board Information and move the files to the new directory. You may need to restart the server for the change to take effect.

How can I move my installation to a different domain or host?
Backup the existing database and server files. Copy them to the new domain/server and update the library/config.php file with the new database details as required. It may be necessary to set permissions for the dataand internal_data directories to world writeable (CHMOD 0777). Lastly, update the Board URL in the ACP -> Options -> Basic Board Information, if it has changed.
Note that if you are moving to a different type of web server and have Friendly URLs enabled, you will need to make the appropriate changes. Refer to the Friendly URLs section of the XenForo Manual for more details.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/frequently-asked-questions.5183/#post-180455

The best practice?
  • Backup
This is so simple and so easy, but so many people forget to do this any time they make any changes. Doesn't matter if you're importing, upgrading, tweaking, adding, removing, or moving... Making a backup can save you.

That is the best advise I can give

(2nd would be to read up things completely. Doing a little homework on everything is a good thing).

The above applies to not only XenForo, but any online work you do. ;)

Agreed to your sentiments 100% !! But if I may respectfully add...a backup is only as good if it can be restored so test Test TEST your restore strategy as well. :D

Top Bottom