Fixed  Initial capitals for words in the navbars except for "Sign out" and "Mark all forums read"

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Most of the navbar links have words with an initial capital letter.

Except for "Sign out" and "Mark all forums read"

Is this intentional?

Well, visually..

"Watched Threads" looks better than "Watched threads"

and

"Mark all forums read" looks better than "Mark All Forums Read"

At least in my opinion.

I don't think it is intentional.

Marking this as a bug.

IMO: Sign Out, and Mark all Forums Read.

But that doesn't make sense. It should either be Sign Out and Mark All Forums Read, or Sign out and Mark all forums read.

Choosing not to capitalize one word at random is odd. It should always be the first letter (which I'd argue can be annoying) or it should only be the first letter (which I'd argue is proper english)

I always follow the traditional rules for capitalization in a title or heading, for consistency. All words except articles and coordinating conjunctions should be capitalized. The modern rules are more lenient, but in my opinion traditional is more professional.

For example: How to Write an Article on Titles and Headings
or: Building Boats, the Old Fashioned Way!

Thanks Lawrence.

I didn't want to create it in the bugs forum as the dev's are probably sick of me by now :D

Still showing the same for me.

Ah - I didn't understand what you meant - personally, I am ok with the "issue", becuase the text after it is secondary to the meaning - though, I would prefer is "Sign out" was "Sign Out". In this case, "Log in or Sign in" would need to be updated.

I think that this is intentional though.

Most of the navbar links have words with an initial capital letter.

Except for "Sign out" and "Mark all forums read"

Is this intentional?
I finally hit upon an explanation for this. "Mark all forums read" can be considered a complete imperative sentence, as can "Sign out". Given that, it looks good to have them in sentence case and only capitalise the first word. The other links are not sentences— "Watched Threads", "What's New?", "Alerts", etc.— and look better in title case.

This will probably change soon via some phrases being applied, depending on the case used in the phrase.

Personally I would go with title case there, though there are some other situations that share the same phrases that use sentence case as is.

I finally hit upon an explanation for this. "Mark all forums read" can be considered a complete imperative sentence, as can "Sign out". Given that, it looks good to have them in sentence case and only capitalise the first word. The other links are not sentences— "Watched Threads", "What's New?", "Alerts", etc.— and look better in title case.
That's a fair point Enigma but as they are main navigation links then for consistency and appearance I would go for title case/all capitals.

Still, it's not a major issue as it should be fairly easy to change using the phrases system, assuming there aren't any conflicts with the phrases being used elsewhere as Mike has stated above.

Top Bottom