Fixed Infinite HTTP requests : running AJAX job.php

Jean-Baptiste

Affected version
Hello,

Don't ask me why, but every visitors on my forum are calling the job.php file (via XHR request). That's making a huge amount of unwanted HTTP requests.

I searched every JS and PHP files on my server to find a backdoor, but nothing...

Here is an example :

4kDAqlg.webp

Any ideas ?

Did you make a note of what those strange entries were?

Did you mean xf_job or did you actually remove them from xf_cron?

I really do wish that people wouldn't make database changes without consulting with us first...

Did you make a note of what those strange entries were?

Did you mean xf_job or did you actually remove them from xf_cron?

I really do wish that people wouldn't make database changes without consulting with us first...

I removed the strange entries from the xf_job table.

74A7CAB0-9B27-4C78-9B72-5B29482CA939.webp

Here it is.

Any ideas on what it was ?

We made the DB changes without consulting you because it was urgent, it was like we faces a DDOS with our own visitors.

Was it outwardly causing any problems?

This is just how the job system works. They're not exactly "unwanted" requests...

Those notifier entries are what deliver alerts and emails to users for watched thread notifications etc.

Was it outwardly causing any problems?

This is just how the job system works. They're not exactly "unwanted" requests...

Those notifier entries are what deliver alerts and emails to users for watched thread notifications etc.

Yes but each user was making one request per 500ms, infinitly. I don't know if it is a XenForo bug, or an addon's, but that was unwanted.
My logs were saturated, and it was making my server lagg due to the amount of requests.

In addition to the numerous rows in xf_job and the endless job.php calls, and (in my case) cron jobs not running, my reported daily active users dropped to 0, yet I still have daily posts. I'm also not receiving emails for subscribed threads, but email works just fine when I manually send one from the admin panel. Yesterday, when I manually turned all cron jobs off, then back on again, I got some user stats to appear.

Could this possibly be related to the GDPR release in late May? I installed v2.0.6a right around when the issues started. I've tried rebuilding all caches a few times to no avail. I've since installed v2.0.7, but that hasn't helped either.

2018-06-22_05-21-23.webp

We’re aware a few people have experienced such issues.

Currently the recommended workaround is to duplicate your xf_job table (and its contents e.g. xf_job_bak) and then empty/truncate the original table.

Things should start moving normally.

If you could then submit a ticket with a link as to where we can download the table from, or zip it up and email it to chris@xenforo.com then we’ll try and figure what’s going on.

On the one case we’ve seen, we can’t see anything wrong in the table data and not has it resurfaced since the table was cleared. So currently unsure of the specific cause.

We’re aware a few people have experienced such issues.

Currently the recommended workaround is to duplicate your xf_job table (and its contents e.g. xf_job_bak) and then empty/truncate the original table.

Things should start moving normally.

If you could then submit a ticket with a link as to where we can download the table from, or zip it up and email it to chris@xenforo.com then we’ll try and figure what’s going on.

On the one case we’ve seen, we can’t see anything wrong in the table data and not has it resurfaced since the table was cleared. So currently unsure of the specific cause.

I've just sent an email with a ZIP of the table as-is. Thanks!

Great.

There’s likely no quick solution to this so my suggestion from before still stands - to workaround the issue for now, truncate the table.

Thanks. Obviously I’ll get notifications when I receive the emails. There won’t be any quick replies, unfortunately, so now I have a copy, feel free to empty/truncate the table. I’ll update the thread in case we notice a pattern.

If the problem persists after emptying the table, let us know.

I have this problem too, i truncated the table but the problem reapears randomly in some threads with members subscribed to reply notifications, i suspect from some addon like user mentions improvements or tapatalk :/

example of endless job:

Code:
a:5:{s:7:"service";s:24:"XF\Service\Post\Notifier";s:5:"extra";a:2:{s:6:"postId";i:4982893;s:10:"actionType";s:5:"reply";}s:10:"notifyData";a:4:{s:5:"quote";a:0:{}s:7:"mention";a:0:{}s:10:"forumWatch";a:0:{}s:11:"threadWatch";a:1:{i:152692;a:2:{s:5:"alert";b:1;s:5:"email";b:0;}}}s:7:"alerted";a:0:{}s:7:"emailed";a:0:{}}

Last edited:
Literally, nothing.

In the databases I've seen, there's no logic for the alerts being stuck. The code itself seems like it shouldn't happen.

Might be worth everyone listing which add-ons they have installed in case there's any common denominators.

Might be worth everyone listing which add-ons they have installed in case there's any common denominators.

After uninstalled this addon https://xenforo.com/community/resources/user-mentions-improvements-by-xon.6186/ from @Xon and truncate xf_job my problem gone, just truncating xf_job without uninstalling the addon and the problem reapears, but i suspect from tapatalk too and some conflict bewetween addons, because all stuck notifications where from tapatalk users.

Top Bottom