XF 1.5 Inability to post photos

jadmperry

I may well be just missing some setting or may be dumb for reasons I don't quite get. As the admin on my own forum, I can't seem to get photos to post.

I hit the icon for posting photos, I insert the link to the photo (have tried multiple sources, from dropbox, OneDrive, etc.) and get a IMG box that shows (but not my photo).

Any help here?

s!Aoc67zD75Wx_yFY6gXrAvk86F01A

The above is what I get.

The particular image you're trying to insert here is behind a login first (at least it is when I access it), but after that, this isn't the URL to the actual image but a page that contains more than just the image. "View original" appears to lead to the raw image URL.

The particular image you're trying to insert here is behind a login first (at least it is when I access it), but after that, this isn't the URL to the actual image but a page that contains more than just the image. "View original" appears to lead to the raw image URL.
Thanks, Mike, for responding....I am maybe at fault. But, I am sharing (and I have done this from various "services," i.e., DropBox, OneDrive, Google, etc.) from places that offer me to "share the link" to the photo.

I get it if it is a permission from the "source" blocking the appearance of the photo on my site. But, I just want to figure out, how do I share photos on my own site (that are not links to public webpages....I have no problem sharing or posting photos that are on well known hosted and famous sites). Just trying to figure the best way for "average joes" like me (or my site members) to post photos. Do I have to host or have a place where photos are uploaded to before they can show up. Sorry if I am sounding like a dunce. I just am having a hard time getting a photo of my newborn daughter up on my own site and figure if I can't do that, none of my site members likely can as well....the photo feature only seems usable from what I can tell for links that are "copied" and inserted from well known domains (yahoo, TMZ, Facebook, and the like).

Again, if I am dense, I apologize. My site doesn't generally have a lot of need/use for photos being uploaded. Still, I would like to have that ability for me and my members.

Thanks for any help, clarification you can provide. It is appreciated!!

But, I am sharing (and I have done this from various "services," i.e., DropBox, OneDrive, Google, etc.) from places that offer me to "share the link" to the photo.
In this case, sharing a link vs sharing the image itself is different and not something that we can really detect or know about. The example given is a page that contains the image. The equivalent would be linking to an image on Facebook that contains the description and comments compared to the actual image itself.

You can upload images directly if you prefer (as the previous post mentions).

In this case, sharing a link vs sharing the image itself is different and not something that we can really detect or know about. The example given is a page that contains the image. The equivalent would be linking to an image on Facebook that contains the description and comments compared to the actual image itself.

You can upload images directly if you prefer (as the previous post mentions).

Thanks. Mike (and sorry at the same time)-

My site is not a very "social site" (i.e., it is not based on chatting and being "friends"/fans of things.....the discussions are mainly technical or results oriented..... and it deals mainly with legal/administrative issues that do not really lend themselves to anything graphical or photo oriented. I have really not had much in the way of a need to post pics from me on the site before. But, I still think that the ability to do so, easily, would be a nifty thing to be able to do easily.

I increased my file size to something like 2GB and still could not upload a photo.

I may be doing something wrong.

Thanks for the input/help!!!

It may be beyond the current functionality of XF....but, I think it would be a great thing if I could post a photo that I took (mainly on my phone) in a post on XF. I can do it on Facebook rather easily. Not sure why XF should not have the same functionality (or should not be striving for this). I am not horribly upset or hating on XF- I love this software/platform. Just seems to me that I should not have to upload a photo to a folder and then link it in order for the photo to appear.

Why are photos only offered as an "insert" based on a URL. (I don't have a URL for the thousands of photos that I might want to post).

If this is easily done and/or I am missing something, all apologies.

Why are photos only offered as an "insert" based on a URL. (I don't have a URL for the thousands of photos that I might want to post).

If this is easily done and/or I am missing something, all apologies.
If doing from your phone, then you use the Upload a File option, then you can choose the photo. In the case of FB (and your phone), odds are you are using an app to access FB with and not your phone browser.

Wow! Works really well on mobile, the problem/challenge seems to be on the desktop (as far as ease of use). (Though, some of this may be user error/problem on my part).

Thanks for the help!

Top Bottom