XF 1.0 In-Page Navigation

When reading a quoted a message, one often wants to go and read the original message in order to get the context of the posts around it.

XenForo enhances this functionality by detecting whether or not the quoted message is on the same page as the one you are viewing, and animating a move from the quote to the original message, so you get an idea of how many messages are inbetween the two and other visual cues.

You can see it in action here:
http://xenforo.com/community/posts/1107/

Click the little up arrow on that post, after 'Kier Said' to see the effect.

I'm not quite understanding? I can see it scrolling to the quoted post, but the how do I get back to the original I was viewing?

If the quoted text came from a different thread or a differnt page number, the browser back-arrow. But if it came from the same page you are viewing, I found the browser back arrow (at least in IE), didn't take me back.

Maybe a solution is to open a pop-up window? Or use a JS function to populate a "return arrow" with the post-id it came from?

Quick question for sanity sake: When quoting text from a forum that *you* can access, but I can not, into a forum that I can view, permissions are checked for the in-page navigation?

If the quoted text came from a different thread or a differnt page number, the browser back-arrow. But if it came from the same page you are viewing, I found the browser back arrow (at least in IE), didn't take me back.?

Thank you, that was my experience as well. To me, I am not sure the way it operates at this moment is desirable.

Floris, I downloaded at least 1 other .mov file you created, converted it to wmv, then played it on my PC and it worked great. This time for whatever reason, it created a 150MB .wmv file from your 6MB .mov file, and when I tried to play it, crashed my PC.

If Only they would have trusted in Kier's vision for vBulletin 4 ..

Agreed. This is going to be one of those "apple and verizon" moments where Internet Brands is going to eventually come forward and say we screwed up to our shareholders... ahahhahaaahahaha,

They had the golden goose, but treated the goose poorly, so the goose went into business for itself selling its own eggs :p:oops:

Thank you, that was my experience as well. To me, I am not sure the way it operates at this moment is desirable.

Floris, I downloaded at least 1 other .mov file you created, converted it to wmv, then played it on my PC and it worked great. This time for whatever reason, it created a 150MB .wmv file from your 6MB .mov file, and when I tried to play it, crashed my PC.

Use VLC - it'll play just fine, no need to convert to wmv, eugh.

Well, yes, that would be the way. Posts can get massively long though, with many inline pictures, and sometimes extremely large sigs, in addition some posts with much text. It could take some time to get back. In vb, a simple Alt-left arrow will get back.

?

Ok, I understand and I am sure that functionality would be added at a latter point or maybe a floating (Back) button... who knows... However I quite like the feature as it is right now :D

VLC
for the win
:D Seriously .. you want it, it will work.

I try to upload my files to youtube, but every other file I do youtube screws up, it jumps between 3 frames, in 3 seconds.
We're in the process of an alternative - but more about that on xfans :)

VLC
for the win
:D Seriously .. you want it, it will work.

I try to upload my files to youtube, but every other file I do youtube screws up, it jumps between 3 frames, in 3 seconds.
We're in the process of an alternative - but more about that on xfans :)
I installed it, it worked great!

Thank you so much for you movie clips Floris, they REALLY help!

A way back to the post you were at would be a nice touch but not a priority atm.
I think easily getting back to where you were is extremely important. I can see the 'Go To First Unread' button they added, and I keep asking myself if that is good enough. I am not sure it is compared to Alt Left arrow.

Top Bottom