Impossible to start reading unread thread from first post

Yes.

And even though I argued against changing it, it would seem to be an improvement. It seems a bit more "accurate" anyway.
In the most important case, where we do have read marking data for you, a click on the thread title takes you to your first unread post, so it still achieves the goal I had for it, it just has a better fall-back for when we don't have data.

Its been awhile since ive clicked on a thread title and landed in the middle of nowhere.. It definitely seems to be improved.. That was my concern.. Seems to be working as described now.. *Likes*

This has been tweaked, and the change has actually been running here all week. Have you noticed it? (It's also in beta 5.)
Nope, not noticed a thing, I still land in the middle of threads, Ive mostly given up now and just dont bother reading them anymore.

When we don't think you've read a thread (and you haven't marked the forum as read),
And there is the problem.

If I havent actually visited a thread, then I obviously havent read it, the global forum read date just isnt relevant to this, and should be ignored.

Nope, not noticed a thing, I still land in the middle of threads, Ive mostly given up now and just dont bother reading them anymore.

And there is the problem.

If I havent actually visited a thread, then I obviously havent read it, the global forum read date just isnt relevant to this, and should be ignored.

Totally Agreed.

I don't know if this is part of the change or not, but this is what I just experienced, and I don't like it:

I went to my list of unread Watched Threads and opened up a thread which was last replied to on Thursday (a mere two days ago) and it took me to the first post / first page. Obviously I've read the thread since it's one of my "Watched Threads."

Why was I taken to the first page and not where I left off?

I don't know if this is part of the change or not, but this is what I just experienced, and I don't like it:

I went to my list of unread Watched Threads and opened up a thread which was last replied to on Thursday (a mere two days ago) and it took me to the first post / first page. Obviously I've read the thread since it's one of my "Watched Threads."

Why was I taken to the first page and not where I left off?
That was because the thread was old and there was no information available where you last read (entire thread considered read when they are old enough).

When that happens go to the top or bottom of the page and click on "Go To First Unread". Alternatively you could back out and click on the blue dot... or use the blue dot instead of clicking on the thread title.

That was because the thread was old and there was no information available where you last read (entire thread considered read when they are old enough).

When that happens go to the top or bottom of the page and click on "Go To First Unread". Alternatively you could back out and click on the blue dot... or use the blue dot instead of clicking on the thread title.
Ah, thanks. I never knew they made the blue dot a link for anything. Last time I checked, it was just an image indicator. Unless I'm losing my mind.

Haven't really been around much for a while, so I'm out of the loop.

The blue dot change happened a short time ago, I'm surprised no one has mentioned it.

The change in how the software works was due to several people not liking the thread title behaving like the blue dot. And as I sort of expected, not everyone is happy about how it works at this time. I'm not sure anything could please them until the operations are identical to other software they are now using...

I'm curious what my members will think regarding this.

.... I'm not sure anything could please them until the operations are identical to other software they are now using...

Not exactly. All what we ask for is the thread title should take us to the first post in a thread that we never read or visit, regardless of the mark read age or how that thread is old. They can do some kind of record only for this, So if a user has been in a thread it will be recorded, otherwise it won't, so when clicking a thread title, if the record exists, then take me to the first unread post, if there is no record, then take me to the first post in that thread, isn't that simple? ;)

The blue dot change happened a short time ago, I'm surprised no one has mentioned it.

The change in how the software works was due to several people not liking the thread title behaving like the blue dot. And as I sort of expected, not everyone is happy about how it works at this time. I'm not sure anything could please them until the operations are identical to other software they are now using...

I'm curious what my members will think regarding this.
Im thinking .... what does the dot do different ?

Every thread I look at, it links to the same place as the thread title ?

As Ahmed says, I just want to be taken to the start of a thread I have never read - i.e. I have no entry for that thread in the thread_read table, regardless of any global forum read date.

'Mark all forums read' sounds clear enough to me, how can you expect anything else than what the link says?

What you want would require the link to be called 'Mark all threads I have visited read'. Which it already does automatically.

Interesting that people are still having this problem. I really thought it was fixed as its not giving me the grief anymore that it used to during the Beta 3 and prior builds.

'Mark all forums read' sounds clear enough to me, how can you expect anything else than what the link says?
Globally marking a forum has nothing to do with whether someone has actually visited every single thread within it. If you cant see that im not going to bother explaining it to you.

Globally marking a forum has nothing to do with whether someone has actually visited every single thread within it. If you cant see that im not going to bother explaining it to you.
How? If a forum has unread threads in it and I mark that forum read, is it not marking each thread within that forum as read?

I know you know way more than I about the technical details involved, but it seems like you're saying that marking a forum as read only marks the forum and not the threads within it as read. That just doesn't make sense to me.

Not exactly. All what we ask for is the thread title should take us to the first post in a thread that we never read or visit, regardless of the mark read age or how that thread is old
That is the way it is now set up.

Im thinking .... what does the dot do different ?

Every thread I look at, it links to the same place as the thread title ?
The difference you will never see because you mark all forums read every time you leave (assuming that is what you still do).

But for the people who do not mark the forums as read, when a really old thread is posted to, then the blue dot will always take them to the first unread post. The thread title will take people to post number 1.

It now works like this:
Does the forum have any information about you reading a thread? ***
  • If no, then then clicking on the title will take you to the first post.
  • If yes, then it will take you to the post that is new, to you.

***If you Mark All Forums As Read, or if you have never read a thread, then the forum software will not have information about you reading a thread... or if a thread is really old.

Or if it's x number of days old, right?
Correct, I added to the post. :)

In addition, the blue dot does exactly what the icon does in front of a thread on ipb, phpbb, vb, etc. It takes you to the first unread post. (although what is, and is not, unread will vary with the software used and the thread marking system settings)

***If you Mark All Forums As Read, or if you have never read a thread, then the forum software will not have information about you reading a thread... or if a thread is really old.
Not true. Irrespective of whether I mark all forums read [or not] - the software does have a record of whether I have read a specific thread or not.

Its very simple, when I click on the title - check the thread_read table - is there any record for me, for this specific thread. If 'no' go to the 1st post, otherwise follow the existing logic.

Top Bottom