Importing From vB4. Where Should I Install XF?

TheBigK

My current setup is on /forum/ . Now, if I simply add XF to the same directory and upgrade, my URLs for forums would look like /forum/forums/ ...

I was thinking if I should install XF in the domain root (so that URLs look more graceful); but I already have Wordpress there which I don't want to mess with.

What say you? o_O

community/

?
Well, that's an option too; but I'm thinking installing XF in the domain root will make the urls look more cleaner (unless vBSEO folks change their minds) : domain.com/threads/xf-rocks.224343/ ...and so on :)

By the way, is it even possible to install XF and WordPress in the same directory?

Should I install XenForo in the web root or a directory?
This is personal preference and depends how you intend to structure your site. If you plan to install additional software in the root such as a CMS or have a home page, then it may make more sense to install the software in a directory.
Note that you can not have two files with the same name in the same directory, for example index.php.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/frequently-asked-questions.5183/#post-180455

Should I install XenForo in the web root or a directory?
This is personal preference and depends how you intend to structure your site. If you plan to install additional software in the root such as a CMS or have a home page, then it may make more sense to install the software in a directory.
Note that you can not have two files with the same name in the same directory, for example index.php.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/frequently-asked-questions.5183/#post-180455

Yeah, that just popped in my mind. By the way, is there a way to protect the directory while migrating to XF? My current vB installation is in /forum/ and I'd like to install XF in the same directory. How'd the migration work then?

You can install XenForo in a temporary directory and then move it once the import is complete.
Moving XenForo is very straightforward:
How can I move my installation to a different directory?
Update the Board URL in the ACP -> Options -> Basic Board Information and move the files to the new directory. You may need to restart the server for the change to take effect.

You can then use .htaccess to protect the directory:
How do I restrict access to admin.php or the install directory to make them more secure?
If you are on an Apache server, you can edit the .htaccess file to password protect it or limit it to an IP address. Refer to the discussion thread in the forum for more information.

Top Bottom